Certified First Responder Training
Quick Facts About CFR Training:
- CFR Original class is approximately 60 hours in length
- Class is usually divided up into three-hour segments on weekday evenings over a period of 2 months, sometimes weekend classes are scheduled
- Minimum number of students required to hold a course is 16 people
- This course costs $220.00 per original CFR student and $100 per refresher CFR student
- This cost is typically covered by the State, if:
- Student is a member of a New York State certified EMS agency
- Student must obtain the signature of the Fire Chief or EMS/ Ambulance Captain on the Verification of Membership Form (DOH 3312) and bring it to the course instructor as required by course policy
- Students that do not meet the above criteria for State payment must pay the total cost of the course on or before the first day of class.
- Books are a separate expense for each course. Costs vary depeding on the course and instructor's preference.
- This cost is often covered by your fire department/ EMS agency, if:
- Student is a member of a fire department or New York State certified EMS agency
- Department/ agency policy allows for payment (contact your department/ agency for more information)
- Students that do not meet the above criteria for department/agency payment must pay the total cost of the books on or before the first day of the course. Contact Cattaraugus County EMS by calling (716) 701-3417 for more information about the cost of books.
Contact Deb K. by calling (716) 701-3417 with questions about CFR courses.
General State Requirements to become a CFR:
To qualify for certification as a New York State Certified First Responder (CFR), the applicant must meet the following requirements:
- Have no convictions for a crime or crimes related to murder, manslaughter, assault, sexual abuse, larceny (theft), robbery, drug abuse, sale of drugs or currently be under charges for such a crime, unless the DOH finds that such conviction or charges do not demonstrate a present risk or danger to patients.
- Enroll in an original CFR course
- Complete an Application for Emergency Medical Services Certification (DOH-65), with the applicant's original signature in ink
- For CFR, be at least 16 years of age prior to the last day of the month in which he/she is scheduled to take the written certification exam
- Satisfactorily complete all requirements of a New York State approved CFR course given by a New York State approved course sponsor, such as Cattaraugus County EMS
- After successful completion of all course requirements, but within one year after course completion, pass the New York State practical skills examination
- Within one year of passing the state practical skills examination, pass the New York State written certification examination