Immunizations for Foreign Travel
- Appointments are required and are available Monday through Friday
- We recommend you call our toll free number 1-800-251-2584 to make an appointment
4-6 weeks before your trip.
- You must be a resident of Cattaraugus County to receive services and vaccines.
How soon should the vaccines be given?
- It takes 2-3 weeks for the body to build up an adequate level of immunity following receipt of the first dose of a vaccine.
- Some shots are given in a series that requires more than one injection several days to weeks apart.
- Certain vaccines cannot be given at the same time that some medicines are being taken.
Should other precautions be taken?
Immunizations provide only partial protection against certain diseases. Travelers must protect themselves by being selective with food, drink, and lodging, and by minimizing the potential for exposure to infectious diseases (for example, protecting against mosquito bites).
The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) offers comprehensive information on vaccines and personal health protection measures for travelers to any part of the world. You may contact CDC through any one of the following services:
Toll-Free CDC Travelers' Hotline: (877) 394-8747 or (877-FYI-TRIP)
FAX Information Service: (404) 332-4565