Assistant Fire Chief(City of Salamanca) #72116 PROMOTIONAL
Civil Service Job: Yes
Applications received by mail must be postmarked no later than Friday, December 7, 2012
Examinations will be held on Saturday, January 26, 2013
$37,438.84-$39,718.87 per year
Information on the Assistant Fire Chief(City of Salamanca) #72116 PROMOTIONAL position
Vacancy: Eligible List may be used to fill vacancies which may occur within the City of Salamanca Fire Department, Salamanca, New York
Fee Required: The State Civil Service Law requires our office to collect a processing fee from each applicant. The amount of the fee is fifteen dollars ($15) per applicant for Each examination applied for, payable at the time of filing of the application form, by check (personal or certified) or money order, payable to the “Cattaraugus County Treasurer”. Cash Will Not Be Accepted. Applicants whose personal checks are returned for insufficient funds will not be considered as candidates for this exam or subsequent exams until such time as restitution is made. Applicants Must Record The Examination Number(s) And Title(s) On Their Checks. Refunds of fees will not be issued to applicants who are disqualified for not meeting the minimum qualifications for admittance to the examination, who file their application after the final filing date or who do not appear for testing on the scheduled test date. Therefore, Do Not Apply for an examination if you are not sure that you meet the minimum qualifications. Application Fees shall be waived for candidates that are unemployed and primarily responsible for the support of a household or are receiving public assistance. Please contact this office for an Application Fee Waiver Request and Certification Form or you may download the form from our website at: www.cattco.org.
Promotion Qualifications: Candidates must be permanently employed in the competitive class in the City of Salamanca Fire Department and have two (2) years of experience as a firefighter or any equivalent combination of experience and training.
SPECIAL REQUIREMENT FOR ACCEPTANCE OF APPLICATIONS: Possession of a currently valid Emergency Medical Technician Certificate. Candidates are required to maintain EMT certification during term of appointment.
Duties: This is important supervisory and administrative work involving responsibility for supervising fire fighting and fire prevention activities during an assigned shift and for assisting in the administration of the activities of the fire department. The work is performed under general supervision in accordance with policies and objectives established by the Fire Chief. Supervision is exercised over the work of all fire department personnel assigned to the shift.
Subject of Examination: Written test will cover knowledges, skills and /or abilities in such areas as:
1. Administrative supervision - These questions test for knowledge of the principles and practices involved in directing the activities of a large subordinate staff, including subordinate supervisors. Questions relate to the personal interactions between an upper level supervisor and his/her subordinate supervisors in the accomplishment of objectives. These questions cover such areas as assigning work to and coordinating the activities of several units, establishing and guiding staff development programs, evaluating the performance of subordinate supervisors, and maintaining relationships with other organizational sections.
2. Educating and interacting with the public - These questions test for knowledge of techniques used to interact effectively with individual citizens and/or community groups, to educate or inform them about topics of concern, to publicize or clarify agency programs or policies, to negotiate conflicts or resolve complaints, and to represent one's agency or program in a manner in keeping with good public relations practices. Questions may also cover interacting with others in cooperative efforts of public outreach or service.
3. Fire administration job simulation exercise - This job simulation exercise tests for the ability to develop and maintain fire department programs and activities. The questions will be based on a simulated set of administrative issues that a Chief Officer may be asked to analyze and respond to in a working day. The questions cover such areas as organizational relationships, planning, staffing, managing resources, budgeting, public relations, rules and regulations, and political and social concerns impacting the fire service.
4. Fire emergency job simulation exercise - This job simulation exercise tests for the ability to manage an emergency incident. The emphasis is on command-level actions and decisions in handling the incident from start to finish. The questions will cover such areas as principles and tactics of firefighting, accountability at a fire scene, hazardous materials, cause investigation, emergency medical care, community relations, and the incident command system, including interacting with other agencies and the media.
5. Preparing written material - These questions test for the ability to present information clearly and accurately, and to organize paragraphs logically and comprehensibly. For some questions, you will be given information in two or three sentences followed by four restatements of the information. You must then choose the best version. For other questions, you will be given paragraphs with their sentences out of order. You must then choose, from four suggestions, the best order for the sentences.
A Guide for the Written Test for Fire Chief/Assistant Fire Chief is available at the New York State website:www.cs.ny.gov/testing/localtestguides.cfm.
Use of calculators is PROHIBITED for this examination.
Complete Job Description & Qualifications
Download the following file for the complete job description and qualifications for the Assistant Fire Chief(City of Salamanca) #72116 PROMOTIONAL position.
PARTICIPATION IN MULTIPLE EXAMINATIONS: If you have applied for both State and Local government examinations, you must take all your examinations at the State examination center. You will be advised by letter when and where to report for your examinations.
If you have applied for another local government examination with another local civil service agency, call or write each civil service agency to make arrangements. You must notify all government civil service agencies with whom you have filed an application of the test site at which you wish to take your examination.
SATURDAY SABBATH OBSERVERS - HANDICAPPED PERSONS: If special arrangements for testing are required, please indicate this on your application(s).
CANDIDATES PLEASE NOTE: Your application for this test is part of the examination process. Applications must be completely filled out with all pertinent information stated. The Commission does not refer to other applications on file for additional information. Applications which do not show training and/or experience to meet the minimum qualifications will be disapproved. Vagueness and ambiguity will not be resolved in your favor.
VETERANS: Disabled and non-disabled war veterans who are eligible for additional credits must submit an application for veterans' credits. Candidates who wish to claim veterans' credits on an examination should request an application and information sheet from the Cattaraugus County Civil Service Commission. Veterans' application forms will also be available upon request at the examination center. The completed forms must be received before the eligible list for the examination is established in order to utilize additional credits.
Effective January 1, 2014, War-time Veterans who previously used non-disabled veterans credits for appointment or promotion and are subsequently certified by the Veteran's Administration as a disabled veteran may again be eligible for additional exam credits. To apply for subsequent disabled veteran credits, complete the Veteran Credit application and check the applicable box, additionally you are required to follow the directions below regarding Disabled Veterans credits.
Effective January 1, 1998, the State Constitution was amended to permit a candidate currently in the armed forces to apply for and be conditionally granted veteran's credit in examinations. Any candidate who applies for such credit must provide proof of military status to receive the conditional credit. No credit may be granted after the establishment of the list. It is the responsibility of the candidate to provide appropriate documentary proof indicating that the service was in time of war, as defined in Section 85 of Civil Service Law, and that the candidate received an honorable discharge or was released under honorable conditions in order to be certified at a score including veteran's credits.
In conformance with Section 85-a of the Civil Service Law, children of firefighters and police officers killed in the line of duty shall be entitled to receive an additional ten points in a competitive examination for original appointment in the same municipality in which his or her parent has served. If you are qualified to participate in this examination and are a child of a firefighter or police officer killed in the line of duty in this municipality, please inform this office of this matter when you submit your application for examination. A candidate claiming such credit has a minimum of two months from the application deadline to provide the necessary documentation to verify additional credit eligibility. However, no credit may be added after the eligible list has been established.
Cattaraugus County an Equal Opportunity Employer