Assistant Leisure Time Activities Director #64133 O.C.
Civil Service Job: Yes
Applications received by mail must be postmarked no later than Wednesday, December 7, 2011
Examinations will be held on Saturday, January 21, 2012
$16.58 - $18.38 (Full Time) $14.71 (Part Time)
Information on the Assistant Leisure Time Activities Director #64133 O.C. position
Vacancy: Eligible List may be used to fill vacancies which may occur within the Cattaraugus County Department of Nursing Homes, Olean and/or Machias, New York
Fee Required: The State Civil Service Law requires our office to collect a processing fee from each applicant. The amount of the fee is ten dollars ($10) per applicant for Each examination applied for, payable at the time of filing of the application form, by check (personal or certified) or money order, payable to the “Cattaraugus County Treasurer”. Cash Will Not Be Accepted. Applicants whose personal checks are returned for insufficient funds will not be considered as candidates. Applicants Must Record The Examination Number(s) And Title(s) On Their Checks. Refunds of fees will not be issued to applicants who are disqualified for not meeting the minimum qualifications for admittance to the examination or who do not appear for testing on the scheduled test date. Therefore, Do Not Apply for an examination if you are not sure that you meet the minimum qualifications. Application Fees shall be waived for candidates that are unemployed and primarily responsible for the support of a household or are receiving public assistance. Please contact this office for an Application Fee Waiver Request and Certification Form, or download from our website at: www.cattco.org.
Residency: Preference in appointment may be given to successful candidates who have been, at the time of examination and for at least one month prior thereto, a resident of the jurisdiction in which the vacancy exists.
Duties: The duties of this position involve assisting the Leisure Time Activities Director by acting as a leader supervising part-time employees, volunteers and students in conducting activities, thus relieving the Director to act on administrative functions. The work involves responsibility for performing tasks involved in the process of conducting a program of diversified, recreational and social leisure time activities with residents in a residential health care facility. Supervision is exercised over the work of Activities Aides and other subordinate personnel and volunteers. An Assistant Leisure Time Activities Director does related work as required.
Minimum Qualifications: Candidates must either:
A) Be a qualified therapeutic recreation specialist who is eligible for certification as a therapeutic recreation specialist by a recognized accrediting body on or after August 1, 1989; OR
B) Have one (1) year of experience in an age-appropriate social or recreational program within the last five (5) years, which was full time in a patient or resident activities program in a health care setting; OR
C) Be a qualified occupational therapist or occupational therapy assistant.
1. Possess and maintain a valid driver’s license to operate motor vehicles in New York State.
2. In order to successfully complete the probationary period, an appointee must possess and maintain a current certification as being included in the New York State Residential Health Care Facility Nurse Aide Registry.
Subject of Examination: A written test designed to evaluate knowledge, skills and /or abilities in the following areas:
1. Problems of persons who are aged, disabled and/or chronically ill as they relate to leisure time needs - These questions test for a knowledge of the characteristic physical, emotional, and social problems of persons who are aged, disabled, and/or chronically ill. Questions may cover such topics as the nature of impairments, disabilities, and illnesses and their potential impact on an individual's ability to engage in recreation activities.
2. Recreation activities for persons who are aged, disabled and/or chronically ill - These questions test for a knowledge of the appropriate recreation activities for persons who are aged, disabled, and/or chronically ill. Questions may cover such topics as arts and crafts, games, and hobbies. No detailed knowledge of the rules of games or sports is required.
3. Organizing and conducting recreation activities for persons who are aged, disabled and/or chronically ill - These questions test for the ability to organize and conduct recreation activities that are appropriate and useful in meeting the physical, emotional, and social needs of individuals who are aged, have disabilities, and/or are chronically ill.
4. Preparing written material - These questions test for the ability to present information clearly and accurately and to organize paragraphs logically and comprehensibly. For some questions, you will be given information in two or three sentences followed by four restatements of the information. You must then choose the best version. For other questions, you will be given paragraphs with their sentences out of order. You must then choose, from four suggestions, the best order for the sentences.
5. Supervision - These questions test for knowledge of the principles and practices employed in planning, organizing, and controlling the activities of a work unit toward predetermined objectives. The concepts covered, usually in a situational question format, include such topics as assigning and reviewing work; evaluating performance; maintaining work standards; motivating and developing subordinates; implementing procedural change; increasing efficiency; and dealing with problems of absenteeism, morale, and discipline.
The New York State Department of Civil Service has not prepared a test guide for this examination. However, candidates may find information in the publication "How to take a written test" helpful in preparing for this test. This publication is available on line at: www.cs.ny.gov/testing/localtestguides.cfm.
Candidates are allowed to use quiet, hand-held, solar or battery powered calculators. Devices with typewriter keyboards, spell checkers, personal digital assistants, address books, language translators, dictionaries or any similar devices are prohibited.
Complete Job Description & Qualifications
Download the following file for the complete job description and qualifications for the Assistant Leisure Time Activities Director #64133 O.C. position.
PARTICIPATION IN MULTIPLE EXAMINATIONS: If you have applied for both State and Local government examinations, you must take all your examinations at the State examination center. You will be advised by letter when and where to report for your examinations.
If you have applied for another local government examination with another local civil service agency, call or write each civil service agency to make arrangements. You must notify all government civil service agencies with whom you have filed an application of the test site at which you wish to take your examination.
SATURDAY SABBATH OBSERVERS - HANDICAPPED PERSONS: If special arrangements for testing are required, please indicate this on your application(s).
CANDIDATES PLEASE NOTE: Your application for this test is part of the examination process. Applications must be completely filled out with all pertinent information stated. The Commission does not refer to other applications on file for additional information. Applications which do not show training and/or experience to meet the minimum qualifications will be disapproved. Vagueness and ambiguity will not be resolved in your favor.
VETERANS: Disabled and non-disabled war veterans who are eligible for additional credits must submit an application for veterans' credits. Candidates who wish to claim veterans' credits on an examination should request an application and information sheet from the Cattaraugus County Civil Service Commission. Veterans' application forms will also be available upon request at the examination center. The completed forms must be received before the eligible list for the examination is established in order to utilize additional credits. Effective January 1, 1998, the State Constitution was amended to permit a candidate currently in the armed forces to apply for and be conditionally granted veteran's cred