Director Of Nursing Services #79716 (Promotional)
Civil Service Job: Yes
Applications received by mail must be postmarked no later than Wednesday, April 20, 2011
Examinations will be held on Saturday, June 4, 2011
$66,836.00 per year
Information on the Director Of Nursing Services #79716 (Promotional) position
Fee Paid By Employer. Pursuant to the Collective Bargaining Agreement between the County of Cattaraugus and CSEA/AFSCME Local 1000, a $10.00 examination-processing fee is paid on behalf of bargaining unit members participating in this examination.
Promotion Qualifications: You must currently be employed by Cattaraugus County Department of Nursing Homes and have at least one (1) year of permanent competitive class service as a Nurse Supervisor or Head Nurse And meet the following open competitive qualifications:
- Graduation from a regionally accredited or New York State registered four (4) year college or university with a Bachelor’s Degree in Nursing and two (2) years of experience in professional nursing activities, one (1) year of which shall have been in a supervisory position;
- Graduation from an approved three (3) year school of professional nursing and three (3) years of experience in professional nursing activities, one (1) year of which shall have been in a supervisory position;
- Graduation from a regionally accredited or New York State registered two (2) year college with an Associate’s Degree in Nursing and four (4) years of experience in professional nursing activities, one (1) year of which shall have been in a supervisory position.
Special Requirement For Acceptance of Applications: Possession and maintenance of a license issued by the State of New York to practice as a Registered Professional Nurse.
Note: Applicants who will complete educational requirements by May 31, 2011, will be permitted to take the examination but will not be eligible for permanent appointment unless proof of fulfilling education requirements has been furnished to this office prior to the establishment of the eligible list.
Duties: This is an administrative position involving responsibility for planning, directing, and supervising over-all institutional health care and rehabilitation activities as they apply to nursing services. The work is performed under general supervision of the facility administrator with wide leeway allowed for the exercise of independent judgement. Supervision and direction is exercised over all nursing services personnel. A Director of Nursing Services does related work as required.
Subject of Examination: Written test will cover knowledges, skills and /or abilities in such areas as:
1. Administrative supervision - These questions test for knowledge of the principles and practices involved in directing the activities of a large subordinate staff, including subordinate supervisors. Questions relate to the personal interactions between an upper level supervisor and his/her subordinate supervisors in the accomplishment of objectives. These questions cover such areas as assigning work to and coordinating the activities of several units, establishing and guiding staff development programs, evaluating the performance of subordinate supervisors, and maintaining relationships with other organizational sections.
2. Administration - These questions test for knowledge of the managerial functions involved in directing an organization or an organizational segment. These questions cover such areas as: developing objectives and formulating policies; making decisions based on the context of the administrator's position and authority; forecasting and planning; organizing; developing personnel; coordinating and informing; guiding and leading; testing and evaluating; and budgeting.
3. Nursing principles and practices: general nursing - These questions test for knowledge of general nursing principles and practices. Questions may cover such topics as common treatment modalities; causes of disease; medication procedures; development and implementation of patient care plans; nursing judgment; and appropriate action in emergency situations.
4. Nursing administration - These questions test for knowledge of the principles and practices of nursing administration as applied to specific situations in various nursing environments.
5. Psychological and social factors in health care - These questions test for knowledge of the factors which underlie the actions and responses of patients and health care staff. Questions may cover such topics as patient reaction to illness and disability; behavioral components of organic disease; patients' psycho-physiological needs; handling staff frustrations; interactional styles; nurse, doctor, and patient perceptions; and the effects of stress on patients, families, and clinical staff.
Candidates are ALLOWED to use quiet, hand-held, solar or battery powered calculators. Devices with typewriter keyboards, spell checkers, personal digital assistants, address books, language translators, dictionaries or any similar devices are prohibited.
Seniority Points will be added to an eligible’s score as follows, based on the date of permanent appointment in the classified service of Cattaraugus County:
Less than 1 year 0 points
1 year up to 6 years 1 point
6 years up to 11 years 2 points
11 years up to 16 years 3 points
16 years up to 21 years 4 points
Over 21 years 5 points
Complete Job Description & Qualifications
Download the following file for the complete job description and qualifications for the Director Of Nursing Services #79716 (Promotional) position.
PARTICIPATION IN MULTIPLE EXAMINATIONS: If you have applied for both State and Local government examinations, you must take all your examinations at the State examination center. You will be advised by letter when and where to report for your examinations.
If you have applied for another local government examination with another local civil service agency, call or write each civil service agency to make arrangements. You must notify all government civil service agencies with whom you have filed an application of the test site at which you wish to take your examination.
SATURDAY SABBATH OBSERVERS - HANDICAPPED PERSONS: If special arrangements for testing are required, please indicate this on your application(s).
CANDIDATES PLEASE NOTE: Your application for this test is part of the examination process. Applications must be completely filled out with all pertinent information stated. The Commission does not refer to other applications on file for additional information. Applications which do not show training and/or experience to meet the minimum qualifications will be disapproved. Vagueness and ambiguity will not be resolved in your favor.
VETERANS: Disabled and non-disabled war veterans who are eligible for additional credits must submit an application for veterans' credits. Candidates who wish to claim veterans' credits on an examination should request an application and information sheet from the Cattaraugus County Civil Service Commission. Veterans' application forms will also be available upon request at the examination center. The completed forms must be received before the eligible list for the examination is established in order to utilize additional credits.
Effective January 1, 2014, War-time Veterans who previously used non-disabled veterans credits for appointment or promotion and are subsequently certified by the Veteran's Administration as a disabled veteran may again be eligible for additional exam credits. To apply for subsequent disabled veteran credits, complete the Veteran Credit application and check the applicable box, additionally you are required to follow the directions below regarding Disabled Veterans credits.
Effective January 1, 1998, the State Constitution was amended to permit a candidate currently in the armed forces to apply for and be conditionally granted veteran's credit in examinations. Any candidate who applies for such credit must provide proof of military status to receive the conditional credit. No credit may be granted after the establishment of the list. It is the responsibility of the candidate to provide appropriate documentary proof indicating that the service was in time of war, as defined in Section 85 of Civil Service Law, and that the candidate received an honorable discharge or was released under honorable conditions in order to be certified at a score including veteran's credits.
In conformance with Section 85-a of the Civil Service Law, children of firefighters and police officers killed in the line of duty shall be entitled to receive an additional ten points in a competitive examination for original appointment in the same municipality in which his or her parent has served. If you are qualified to participate in this examination and are a child of a firefighter or police officer killed in the line of duty in this municipality, please inform this office of this matter when you submit your application for examination. A candidate claiming such credit has a minimum of two months from the application deadline to provide the necessary documentation to verify additional credit eligibility. However, no credit may be added after the eligible list has been established.
Cattaraugus County an Equal Opportunity Employer