Director of Patient Services, #65627 Open Competitive Examination
Civil Service Job: Yes
Applications received by mail must be postmarked no later than Friday, August 10, 2018
Examinations will be held on Saturday, September 29, 2018
$65,000 - $71,000 per year / Management Confidential
Information on the Director of Patient Services, #65627 Open Competitive Examination position
Vacancy: Resulting Eligible List may be used to fill vacancies within the Cattaraugus County Health Department in Olean.
Fee Required: The State Civil Service Law requires our office to collect a processing fee from each applicant. The amount of the fee is fifteen dollars ($15) per applicant for Each examination applied for, payable at the time of filing of the application form, by check (personal or certified) or money order, payable to the “Cattaraugus County Treasurer”. Cash Will Not Be Accepted. Applicants whose personal checks are returned for insufficient funds will not be considered as candidates for this exam or subsequent exams until such time as restitution is made. Applicants must record the Examination Number(s) and Title(s) on their checks. Refunds of fees will not be issued to applicants who are disqualified for not meeting the minimum qualifications for admittance to the examination, who file their application after the final filing date or who do not appear for testing on the scheduled test date. Therefore, Do Not Apply for an examination if you are not sure that you meet the minimum qualifications. Application fees shall be waived for candidates that are unemployed and primarily responsible for the support of a household or are receiving public assistance. Please contact this office for an Application Fee Waiver Request and Certification Form, or download from our website at: www.cattco.org.
Residency: Preference in appointment may be given to successful candidates who have been, at the time of examination, and for at least one month prior thereto, a resident of the jurisdiction in which the vacancy exists.
Duties: The work involves planning, organizing, directing, coordinating, and evaluating nursing care provided through a certified home health agency, long term home health care program, and other community health nursing programs provided by the Cattaraugus County Health Department. An incumbent has responsibility for the professional and financial operations of patient care services. The work is performed under the general direction of the Public Health Director. Supervision is exercised over nurses, therapists, contractors, other service providers, and clerical staff engaged in patient service delivery. A Director of Patient Services does related work as required.
Minimum Qualifications: Possession of a current license to practice nursing issued by the New York State Education Department and:
- Two (2) years as a supervising community health nurse; or
- Two (2) years of home care nursing experience plus a master’s degree in nursing, public health, business administration or another health related field.
Qualification pursuant to 10 NYCRR, Part 700-2(b) (20).
Subject of Examination: A written test designed to evaluate knowledge, skills and /or abilities in the following areas:
1. Administrative supervision - These questions test for knowledge of the principles and practices involved in directing the activities of a large subordinate staff, including subordinate supervisors. Questions relate to the personal interactions between an upper level supervisor and his/her subordinate supervisors in the accomplishment of objectives. These questions cover such areas as assigning work to and coordinating the activities of several units, establishing and guiding staff development programs, evaluating the performance of subordinate supervisors, and maintaining relationships with other organizational sections.
2. Administration - These questions test for knowledge of the managerial functions involved in directing an organization or an organizational segment. These questions cover such areas as: developing objectives and formulating policies; making decisions based on the context of the administrator's position and authority; forecasting and planning; organizing; developing personnel; coordinating and informing; guiding and leading; testing and evaluating; and budgeting.
3. Preparing written material - These questions test for the ability to present information clearly and accurately, and to organize paragraphs logically and comprehensibly. For some questions, you will be given information in two or three sentences followed by four restatements of the information. You must then choose the best version. For other questions, you will be given paragraphs with their sentences out of order. You must then choose, from four suggestions, the best order for the sentences.
4. Understanding and interpreting written material - These questions test for the ability to understand and interpret written material. You will be presented with brief reading passages and will be asked questions about the passages. You should base your answers to the questions only on what is presented in the passages and not on what you may happen to know about the topic.
The New York State Department of Civil Service has not prepared a test guide for this examination. However, candidates may find information in the publication "How to take a written test" helpful in preparing for this test. This publication is available on line at: https://www.cs.ny.gov/testing/testguides.cfm
Candidates are recommended to use quiet, hand-held, solar or battery powered calculators. Devices with typewriter keyboards, spell checkers, personal digital assistants, address books, language translators, dictionaries or any similar devices are prohibited.
Candidates Please Note: Your application for this test is part of the examination process. Applications must be completely filled out with all pertinent information stated. Civil Service staff will not refer to other applications on file for additional information. Applications which do not show training and/or experience to meet the minimum qualifications will be disapproved. Vagueness and ambiguity will not be resolved in your favor.
This examination is being prepared and rated by the New York State Civil Service Department in accordance with Section 23-2 of the Civil Service Law. The provisions of the New York State Civil Service Rules and Regulations dealing with the rating of examinations will apply to this examination.
Applications will be accepted up to August 10, 2018, and may be obtained from the Cattaraugus County Civil Service website at: www.cattco.org/jobs.
Cattaraugus County An Equal Opportunity Employer
Issued: July 11, 2018
Complete Job Description & Qualifications
Download the following file for the complete job description and qualifications for the Director of Patient Services, #65627 Open Competitive Examination position.
PARTICIPATION IN MULTIPLE EXAMINATIONS: If you have applied for both State and Local government examinations, you must take all your examinations at the State examination center. You will be advised by letter when and where to report for your examinations.
If you have applied for another local government examination with another local civil service agency, call or write each civil service agency to make arrangements. You must notify all government civil service agencies with whom you have filed an application of the test site at which you wish to take your examination.
SATURDAY SABBATH OBSERVERS - HANDICAPPED PERSONS: If special arrangements for testing are required, please indicate this on your application(s).
CANDIDATES PLEASE NOTE: Your application for this test is part of the examination process. Applications must be completely filled out with all pertinent information stated. The Commission does not refer to other applications on file for additional information. Applications which do not show training and/or experience to meet the minimum qualifications will be disapproved. Vagueness and ambiguity will not be resolved in your favor.
VETERANS: Disabled and non-disabled war veterans who are eligible for additional credits must submit an application for veterans' credits. Candidates who wish to claim veterans' credits on an examination should request an application and information sheet from the Cattaraugus County Civil Service Commission. Veterans' application forms will also be available upon request at the examination center. The completed forms must be received before the eligible list for the examination is established in order to utilize additional credits.
Effective January 1, 2014, War-time Veterans who previously used non-disabled veterans credits for appointment or promotion and are subsequently certified by the Veteran's Administration as a disabled veteran may again be eligible for additional exam credits. To apply for subsequent disabled veteran credits, complete the Veteran Credit application and check the applicable box, additionally you are required to follow the directions below regarding Disabled Veterans credits.
Effective January 1, 1998, the State Constitution was amended to permit a candidate currently in the armed forces to apply for and be conditionally granted veteran's credit in examinations. Any candidate who applies for such credit must provide proof of military status to receive the conditional credit. No credit may be granted after the establishment of the list. It is the responsibility of the candidate to provide appropriate documentary proof indicating that the service was in time of war, as defined in Section 85 of Civil Service Law, and that the candidate received an honorable discharge or was released under honorable conditions in order to be certified at a score including veteran's credits.
In conformance with Section 85-a of the Civil Service Law, children of firefighters and police officers killed in the line of duty shall be entitled to receive an additional ten points in a competitive examination for original appointment in the same municipality in which his or her parent has served. If you are qualified to participate in this examination and are a child of a firefighter or police officer killed in the line of duty in this municipality, please inform this office of this matter when you submit your application for examination. A candidate claiming such credit has a minimum of two months from the application deadline to provide the necessary documentation to verify additional credit eligibility. However, no credit may be added after the eligible list has been established.
Cattaraugus County an Equal Opportunity Employer