Eligibility Worker #79551 DEPARTMENTAL PROMOTIONAL
Civil Service Job: Yes
Applications received by mail must be postmarked no later than Wednesday, September 14, 2011
Examinations will be held on Saturday, October 29, 2011
$15.66 - $17.26
Information on the Eligibility Worker #79551 DEPARTMENTAL PROMOTIONAL position
Vacancy: Eligible List may be used to fill vacancies which may occur within Cattaraugus County Department of Social Services.
Fee Paid By Employer. Pursuant to the Collective Bargaining Agreement between the County of Cattaraugus and CSEA/AFSCME Local 1000, a $10.00 examination-processing fee is paid on behalf of bargaining unit members participating in this examination.
Promotion Qualifications: Candidates must be permanently employed in the Cattaraugus County Department of Social Services and have at least one (1) year of permanent competitive class service in a lower grade level and meet the following open competitive qualifications:
Graduation from high school or possession of a high school equivalency diploma and either:
A.) One year of work experience involving the examination, investigation, or evaluation of claims for assistance, veteran's or unemployment benefits, insurance, or a similar program or service operating under established criteria for eligibility; OR
B.) One year of work experience involving substantial communication with adults involving persuasion,
negotiation, explaining, or counseling. This experience must have involved the exercise of judgement in dealing with or responding to another person. (Typical jobs involving this experience may include customer service representatives, people providing personal services, people providing social services, interviewers, counselors, and similar jobs involving periodic confrontation with a client, customer, member of the public, etc.); OR
C.) An equivalent combination of experience as limited by A and B above.
NOTE: Study in a regionally accredited college or university or one registered by New York State may be substituted for the experience on a year for year basis.
Duties: The work involves determining the eligibility of applicants for programs administered within the Social Services Department. The work involves personal interviews, telephone interviews, review and evaluation of applications, and is performed in accordance with Federal and State laws, regulations, policy, and local procedures. The work is performed under the supervision of a senior level staff member. An Eligibility Worker does related work as required.
Subject of Examination: A written test designed to evaluate knowledge, skills and /or abilities in the following areas:
1. Applying information - These questions test for the ability to apply simple information. You will be given a Resource Directory that describes community agencies, their purposes and the type of client each serves. Questions describe clients with a variety of problems and situations. You must determine the appropriate referral for clients based on the services which each agency provides.
2. Interviewing - These questions test for knowledge of the principles and practices employed in obtaining information from individuals through structured conversations. These questions require you to apply the principles, practices, and techniques of effective interviewing to hypothetical interviewing situations. Included are questions that present a problem arising from an interviewing situation, and you must choose the most appropriate course of action to take.
3. Office record keeping - These questions test your ability to perform common office record keeping tasks. The test consists of two or more "sets" of questions, each set concerning a different problem. Typical record keeping problems might involve the organization or collation of data from several sources; scheduling; maintaining a record system using running balances; or completion of a table summarizing data using totals, subtotals, averages and percents.
4. Preparing written material - These questions test for the ability to present information clearly and accurately, and to organize paragraphs logically and comprehensibly. For some questions, you will be given information in two or three sentences followed by four restatements of the information. You must then choose the best version. For other questions, you will be given paragraphs with their sentences out of order. You must then choose, from four suggestions, the best order for the sentences.
5. Working with people in human services situations - These questions test for a knowledge of general techniques used to deal with common client behaviors such as fear, hostility, shyness, resistance, defensiveness, withdrawal, anxiety and confusion.
The New York State Department of Civil Service has not prepared a test guide for this examination. However, candidates may find information in the publication "How to take a written test" helpful in preparing for this test. This publication is available on line at: www.cs.state.ny.us/testing/localtestguides.cfm
Candidates are allowed to use quiet, hand-held, solar or battery powered calculators. Devices with typewriter keyboards, spell checkers, personal digital assistants, address books, language translators, dictionaries or any similar devices are prohibited.
Seniority Points will be added to an eligible’s score as follows, based on the date of permanent appointment in the classified service with Cattaraugus County:
Less than 1 year 0 points
1 year up to 6 years 1 point
6 years up to 11 years 2 points
11 years up to 16 years 3 points
16 years up to 21 years 4 points
Over 21 years 5 points
Complete Job Description & Qualifications
Download the following file for the complete job description and qualifications for the Eligibility Worker #79551 DEPARTMENTAL PROMOTIONAL position.
PARTICIPATION IN MULTIPLE EXAMINATIONS: If you have applied for both State and Local government examinations, you must take all your examinations at the State examination center. You will be advised by letter when and where to report for your examinations.
If you have applied for another local government examination with another local civil service agency, call or write each civil service agency to make arrangements. You must notify all government civil service agencies with whom you have filed an application of the test site at which you wish to take your examination.
SATURDAY SABBATH OBSERVERS - HANDICAPPED PERSONS: If special arrangements for testing are required, please indicate this on your application(s).
CANDIDATES PLEASE NOTE: Your application for this test is part of the examination process. Applications must be completely filled out with all pertinent information stated. The Commission does not refer to other applications on file for additional information. Applications which do not show training and/or experience to meet the minimum qualifications will be disapproved. Vagueness and ambiguity will not be resolved in your favor.
VETERANS: Disabled and non-disabled war veterans who are eligible for additional credits must submit an application for veterans' credits. Candidates who wish to claim veterans' credits on an examination should request an application and information sheet from the Cattaraugus County Civil Service Commission. Veterans' application forms will also be available upon request at the examination center. The completed forms must be received before the eligible list for the examination is established in order to utilize additional credits.
Effective January 1, 2014, War-time Veterans who previously used non-disabled veterans credits for appointment or promotion and are subsequently certified by the Veteran's Administration as a disabled veteran may again be eligible for additional exam credits. To apply for subsequent disabled veteran credits, complete the Veteran Credit application and check the applicable box, additionally you are required to follow the directions below regarding Disabled Veterans credits.
Effective January 1, 1998, the State Constitution was amended to permit a candidate currently in the armed forces to apply for and be conditionally granted veteran's credit in examinations. Any candidate who applies for such credit must provide proof of military status to receive the conditional credit. No credit may be granted after the establishment of the list. It is the responsibility of the candidate to provide appropriate documentary proof indicating that the service was in time of war, as defined in Section 85 of Civil Service Law, and that the candidate received an honorable discharge or was released under honorable conditions in order to be certified at a score including veteran's credits.
In conformance with Section 85-a of the Civil Service Law, children of firefighters and police officers killed in the line of duty shall be entitled to receive an additional ten points in a competitive examination for original appointment in the same municipality in which his or her parent has served. If you are qualified to participate in this examination and are a child of a firefighter or police officer killed in the line of duty in this municipality, please inform this office of this matter when you submit your application for examination. A candidate claiming such credit has a minimum of two months from the application deadline to provide the necessary documentation to verify additional credit eligibility. However, no credit may be added after the eligible list has been established.
Cattaraugus County an Equal Opportunity Employer