GARAGE SHOP SUPERVISOR #72081 PROMOTIONAL
Civil Service Job: Yes
Applications received by mail must be postmarked no later than Friday, March 28, 2014
Examinations will be held on Saturday, May 17, 2014
$24.13 - $26.81 per hour
Information on the GARAGE SHOP SUPERVISOR #72081 PROMOTIONAL position
Vacancy: The resulting Eligible List may be used to fill vacancies which may occur within the City of Olean, Olean, NY.
Fee Required: The State Civil Service Law requires our office to collect a processing fee from each applicant. The amount of the fee is fifteen dollars ($15) per applicant for Each examination applied for, payable at the time of filing of the application form, by check (personal or certified) or money order, payable to the “Cattaraugus County Treasurer”. Cash Will Not Be Accepted. Applicants whose personal checks are returned for insufficient funds will not be considered as candidates for this exam or subsequent exams until such time as restitution is made. Applicants must record the Examination Number(s) and Title(s) on their checks. Refunds of fees will not be issued to applicants who are disqualified for not meeting the minimum qualifications for admittance to the examination, who file their application after the final filing date or who do not appear for testing on the scheduled test date. Therefore, Do Not Apply for an examination if you are not sure that you meet the minimum qualifications. Application fees shall be waived for candidates that are unemployed and primarily responsible for the support of a household or are receiving public assistance. Please contact this office for an Application Fee Waiver Request and Certification Form, or download from our website at: www.cattco.org.
Duties: This is technical supervisory work involving responsibility for maintenance and repair of all city-owned motor driven equipment. The work is performed under general supervision in accordance with established objectives and policies requiring the exercise of independent judgment in carrying out the technical details of the work. General instructions are received outlining the routine activities and detailed instructions are received on new or unusual assignments. Supervision is exercised over the activities of subordinate mechanics, equipment operators and other workers.
Promotion Qualifications: This examination is open to permanent employees of the City of Olean Department of Public Works who are holding, or who have held, a position in the non-competitive class of the City service for a period of at least two (2) years and who meet the following qualifications:
Five years of satisfactory experience as a skilled automotive mechanic in a garage or repair shop.
NOTE: Experience must have been paid to be credited toward minimum qualifications unless otherwise provided in the minimum qualifications, volunteer experience will not be accepted.
SPECIAL REQUIREMENT: Employee must obtain and keep an up to date New York State Department of Motor Vehicles inspector’s certification as issued by the appropriate New York State authorities.
SUBJECT OF EXAMINATION: A written test designed to evaluate knowledge, skills and /or abilities in the following areas:
1. Maintenance and repair of motor vehicles - These questions test for knowledge of the operating characteristics of the various mechanical and electrical components of motor vehicles and diagnostic practices involved in the maintenance and repair of these components.
2. Operation, maintenance, and repair of automotive, truck, and heavy highway maintenance equipment - These questions test for knowledge of the operating characteristics of various components of automotive and heavy motor vehicle equipment and the proper maintenance and repair procedures to use on this equipment.
3. Tools and test equipment used in the maintenance of automotive equipment - These questions test for knowledge of the correct procedures to use when checking, maintaining, and repairing automotive equipment, including the proper and safe use of various tools, instruments, circuit testers, and similar types of mechanical and electrical test and repair equipment.
4. Maintenance and repair of mechanically and electronically controlled internal combustion engines - These questions test for knowledge of the technical operating characteristics of internal combustion engines, including the ability to troubleshoot symptoms of poor operation and to diagnose and repair typical mechanical or electrical system problems, including computer controlled systems.
5. Repair shop management including basic automotive economics and operation and maintenance of shop equipment - These questions test for knowledge of the proper operating procedures involved in managing an automotive repair shop, including such areas as equipment maintenance and repair, scheduling and coordinating work operations, and cost estimating.
6. Supervision - These questions test for knowledge of the principles and practices employed in planning, organizing, and controlling the activities of a work unit toward predetermined objectives. The concepts covered, usually in a situational question format, include such topics as assigning and reviewing work; evaluating performance; maintaining work standards; motivating and developing subordinates; implementing procedural change; increasing efficiency; and dealing with problems of absenteeism, morale, and discipline.
The New York State Department of Civil Service has not prepared a test guide for this examination. However, candidates may find information in the publication "How to take a written test" helpful in preparing for this test. This publication is available on line at: www.cs.ny.gov/testing/localtestguides.cfm.
Candidates are allowed to use quiet, hand-held, solar or battery powered calculators. Devices with typewriter keyboards, spell checkers, personal digital assistants, address books, language translators, dictionaries or any similar devices are prohibited.
Seniority Points will be added to an eligible’s score as follows, based on the date of permanent appointment in the classified service with the City of Olean:
Less than 1 year 0 points
1 year up to 6 years 1 point
6 years up to 11 years 2 points
11 years up to 16 years 3 points
16 years up to 21 years 4 points
Over 21 years 5 points
Complete Job Description & Qualifications
Download the following file for the complete job description and qualifications for the GARAGE SHOP SUPERVISOR #72081 PROMOTIONAL position.
PARTICIPATION IN MULTIPLE EXAMINATIONS: If you have applied for both State and Local government examinations, you must take all your examinations at the State examination center. You will be advised by letter when and where to report for your examinations.
If you have applied for another local government examination with another local civil service agency, call or write each civil service agency to make arrangements. You must notify all government civil service agencies with whom you have filed an application of the test site at which you wish to take your examination.
SATURDAY SABBATH OBSERVERS - HANDICAPPED PERSONS: If special arrangements for testing are required, please indicate this on your application(s).
CANDIDATES PLEASE NOTE: Your application for this test is part of the examination process. Applications must be completely filled out with all pertinent information stated. The Commission does not refer to other applications on file for additional information. Applications which do not show training and/or experience to meet the minimum qualifications will be disapproved. Vagueness and ambiguity will not be resolved in your favor.
VETERANS: Disabled and non-disabled war veterans who are eligible for additional credits must submit an application for veterans' credits. Candidates who wish to claim veterans' credits on an examination should request an application and information sheet from the Cattaraugus County Civil Service Commission. Veterans' application forms will also be available upon request at the examination center. The completed forms must be received before the eligible list for the examination is established in order to utilize additional credits.
Effective January 1, 2014, War-time Veterans who previously used non-disabled veterans credits for appointment or promotion and are subsequently certified by the Veteran's Administration as a disabled veteran may again be eligible for additional exam credits. To apply for subsequent disabled veteran credits, complete the Veteran Credit application and check the applicable box, additionally you are required to follow the directions below regarding Disabled Veterans credits.
Effective January 1, 1998, the State Constitution was amended to permit a candidate currently in the armed forces to apply for and be conditionally granted veteran's credit in examinations. Any candidate who applies for such credit must provide proof of military status to receive the conditional credit. No credit may be granted after the establishment of the list. It is the responsibility of the candidate to provide appropriate documentary proof indicating that the service was in time of war, as defined in Section 85 of Civil Service Law, and that the candidate received an honorable discharge or was released under honorable conditions in order to be certified at a score including veteran's credits.
In conformance with Section 85-a of the Civil Service Law, children of firefighters and police officers killed in the line of duty shall be entitled to receive an additional ten points in a competitive examination for original appointment in the same municipality in which his or her parent has served. If you are qualified to participate in this examination and are a child of a firefighter or police officer killed in the line of duty in this municipality, please inform this office of this matter when you submit your application for examination. A candidate claiming such credit has a minimum of two months from the application deadline to provide the necessary documentation to verify additional credit eligibility. However, no credit may be added after the eligible list has been established.
Cattaraugus County an Equal Opportunity Employer