Land Surveyor #67654 O.C.
Civil Service Job: Yes
Applications received by mail must be postmarked no later than Wednesday, April 18, 2012
Examinations will be held on Saturday, June 2, 2012
$22.67 - $25.24 per hour
Information on the Land Surveyor #67654 O.C. position
Vacancy: Resulting eligible list may be used to fill vacancies which may occur in the Cattaraugus County Department of Public Works.
Fee Required: The State Civil Service Law requires our office to collect a processing fee from each applicant. The amount of the fee is ten dollars ($10) per applicant for Each examination applied for, payable at the time of filing of the application form, by check (personal or certified) or money order, payable to the “Cattaraugus County Treasurer”. Cash Will Not Be Accepted. Applicants whose personal checks are returned for insufficient funds will not be considered as candidates. Applicants must record the Examination Number(s) and Title(s) on their checks. Refunds of fees will not be issued to applicants who are disqualified for not meeting the minimum qualifications for admittance to the examination or who do not appear for testing on the scheduled test date. Therefore, Do Not Apply for an examination if you are not sure that you meet the minimum qualifications. Application Fees shall be waived for candidates that are unemployed and primarily responsible for the support of a household or are receiving public assistance and may be downloaded from our website at: www.cattco.org.
Residency: Preference in appointment may be given to successful candidates who have been, at the time of examination and for at least one month prior thereto, a resident of the jurisdiction in which the vacancy exists.
Duties: The work involves planning and performing office and fieldwork relating to a variety of public work projects. Duties are performed under the general supervision of the County Director of Engineering. This class differs from others in the engineering technician series by virtue of the fact that an incumbent assumes personal legal responsibility for work certified by him or her pursuant to their State issued license and registration. General supervision may be exercised over employees involved in survey-related work. A Land Surveyor does related work as required.
Minimum Qualifications: Possession of a license and current registration to practice as a Land Surveyor in New York State.
SPECIAL REQUIREMENT: Possession of a valid license to operate a motor vehicle in New York State.
Subject of Examination: Written test will cover knowledges, skills and /or abilities in such areas as:
1. Computer-assisted mapping, including geographic information system (GIS) applications - These questions test for knowledge of the concepts, terminology and proper procedures to use when creating and revising various types of maps and site plans utilizing GIS and computerized mapping software.
2. Land surveying, including photogrammetric control - These questions test for fundamental knowledge of the concepts, procedures and computations involved in performing surveys for land areas and construction projects, including the use of theodolites, total stations, automatic levels and other contemporary field survey equipment; closure and other error computations; verifying distances and elevations using survey, photographic and other remotely-sensed information; and basic aerial photographic practices and computations applicable to establishing control points and the location of land features.
3. Preparation and interpretation of property acquisition maps and plans - These questions test for the ability to read, analyze and perform computations based on real property and topographic maps and site development and construction project plans; and for knowledge of the proper principles and procedures used to prepare various maps and plans related to survey projects.
4. Legal requirements related to property line boundaries, including title searches - These questions test for knowledge of the legal terminology, documents and property description requirements involved in boundary and ownership issues related to real property and land acquisition.
5. Understanding and interpreting written material - These questions test how well you comprehend written material. You will be provided with brief reading selections and will be asked questions about the selections. All the information required to answer the questions will be presented in the selections; you will not be required to have any special knowledge relating to the subject areas of the selections.
The New York State Department of Civil Service has not prepared a test guide for this examination. However, candidates may find information in the publication "How to take a written test" helpful in preparing for this test. This publication is available on line at: www.cs.ny.gov/testing/localtestguides.cfm.
Candidates are recommended to use quiet, hand-held, solar or battery powered calculators. Devices with typewriter keyboards, spell checkers, personal digital assistants, address books, language translators, dictionaries or any similar devices are prohibited.
Complete Job Description & Qualifications
Download the following file for the complete job description and qualifications for the Land Surveyor #67654 O.C. position.
PARTICIPATION IN MULTIPLE EXAMINATIONS: If you have applied for both State and Local government examinations, you must take all your examinations at the State examination center. You will be advised by letter when and where to report for your examinations.
If you have applied for another local government examination with another local civil service agency, call or write each civil service agency to make arrangements. You must notify all government civil service agencies with whom you have filed an application of the test site at which you wish to take your examination.
SATURDAY SABBATH OBSERVERS - HANDICAPPED PERSONS: If special arrangements for testing are required, please indicate this on your application(s).
CANDIDATES PLEASE NOTE: Your application for this test is part of the examination process. Applications must be completely filled out with all pertinent information stated. The Commission does not refer to other applications on file for additional information. Applications which do not show training and/or experience to meet the minimum qualifications will be disapproved. Vagueness and ambiguity will not be resolved in your favor.
VETERANS: Disabled and non-disabled war veterans who are eligible for additional credits must submit an application for veterans' credits. Candidates who wish to claim veterans' credits on an examination should request an application and information sheet from the Cattaraugus County Civil Service Commission. Veterans' application forms will also be available upon request at the examination center. The completed forms must be received before the eligible list for the examination is established in order to utilize additional credits.
Effective January 1, 2014, War-time Veterans who previously used non-disabled veterans credits for appointment or promotion and are subsequently certified by the Veteran's Administration as a disabled veteran may again be eligible for additional exam credits. To apply for subsequent disabled veteran credits, complete the Veteran Credit application and check the applicable box, additionally you are required to follow the directions below regarding Disabled Veterans credits.
Effective January 1, 1998, the State Constitution was amended to permit a candidate currently in the armed forces to apply for and be conditionally granted veteran's credit in examinations. Any candidate who applies for such credit must provide proof of military status to receive the conditional credit. No credit may be granted after the establishment of the list. It is the responsibility of the candidate to provide appropriate documentary proof indicating that the service was in time of war, as defined in Section 85 of Civil Service Law, and that the candidate received an honorable discharge or was released under honorable conditions in order to be certified at a score including veteran's credits.
In conformance with Section 85-a of the Civil Service Law, children of firefighters and police officers killed in the line of duty shall be entitled to receive an additional ten points in a competitive examination for original appointment in the same municipality in which his or her parent has served. If you are qualified to participate in this examination and are a child of a firefighter or police officer killed in the line of duty in this municipality, please inform this office of this matter when you submit your application for examination. A candidate claiming such credit has a minimum of two months from the application deadline to provide the necessary documentation to verify additional credit eligibility. However, no credit may be added after the eligible list has been established.
Cattaraugus County an Equal Opportunity Employer