Line Worker, #73798 Promotional
Civil Service Job: Yes
Applications received by mail must be postmarked no later than Saturday, August 23, 2014
Examinations will be held on Saturday, October 11, 2014
$48,318.40 annual salary
Information on the Line Worker, #73798 Promotional position
Vacancy: Eligible List may be used to fill vacancies which may occur within the City of Salamanca Department of Public Utilities.
Salary: $48,318.40 annual salary (Full-time)
Fee Required: The State Civil Service Law requires our office to collect a processing fee from each applicant. The amount of the fee is fifteen dollars ($15) per applicant for Each examination applied for, payable at the time of filing of the application form, by check (personal or certified) or money order, payable to the “Cattaraugus County Treasurer”. Cash Will Not Be Accepted. Applicants whose personal checks are returned for insufficient funds will not be considered as candidates for this exam or subsequent exams until such time as restitution is made. Applicants must record the Examination Number(s) and Title(s) on their checks. Refunds of fees will not be issued to applicants who are disqualified for not meeting the minimum qualifications for admittance to the examination, who file their application after the final filing date or who do not appear for testing on the scheduled test date. Therefore, Do Not Apply for an examination if you are not sure that you meet the minimum qualifications. Application fees shall be waived for candidates that are unemployed and primarily responsible for the support of a household or are receiving public assistance. Please contact this office for an Application Fee Waiver Request and Certification Form, or download from our website at: www.cattco.org/jobs.
Promotion Qualifications: Candidates must be currently employed by the City of Salamanca Department of Public Utilities as a Line Helper for a minimum of two years.
NOTE: Two years of permanent service is deemed to be two years of permanent full-time service or its part-time equivalent.
SPECIAL REQUIREMENT: Possession and maintenance of appropriate Commercial Driver’s License (CDL) issued by New York State with endorsements appropriate for the type of vehicle operated.
Duties: The work involves participation in the installation and continuing maintenance of a municipal electric power system transmission and distribution lines. Duties are performed under general supervision according to established practices with strict adherence to safety rules. Direct supervision may be exercised over Line Helpers. A Line Worker does related work as required.
Subject of Examination: Written test will cover knowledges, skills and /or abilities in such areas as:
1. Basic principles of electricity: These questions test for knowledge of basic electrical principles including such areas as electric circuit wiring, grounding and insulation; relationships between voltage, current, and resistance in electrical circuits; characteristics of direct current and alternating current circuits; and properties of series and parallel electrical circuits.
2. Principles, practices, tools and equipment of the electrical trade: These questions test for knowledge of the principles and practices of the electrical trade, including such areas as tools and equipment used, proper electrical circuit wiring procedures, and appropriate methods of providing safe, efficient, and effective electrical service.
3. Plans, specifications and wiring diagrams: These questions test for knowledge of the purposes and proper use of various types of electrical system plans, specifications, and wiring diagrams; and for the ability to read and understand electrical system schematics, wiring diagrams, and written specifications.
4. Installation and maintenance of overhead and underground electrical distribution system service lines: These questions test for knowledge of the principles and practices involved in the installation and maintenance of both overhead and underground electric power distribution system lines; and may include such areas as the proper installation and maintenance of line poles and related attachments; installation and maintenance of electrical lines, cables, transformers, and service wires; troubleshooting and repair of line faults and failures; and safe operating procedures.
5. Operation, maintenance and repair of street lights and electrical control systems: These questions test for knowledge of the principles and practices involved in the operation, maintenance, and repair of street lighting systems; and may include such areas as the characteristics of various types of street lighting systems and street lamps; principles involved in locating and installing street lights; troubleshooting and repairing street light problems; control systems used for street lights and street lighting circuits; maintaining the visibility of street lights; and safe operating procedures.
6. Installation, maintenance and repair of electrical power distribution systems: These questions test for knowledge of the principles and practices involved in the installation, maintenance, and repair of electric power distribution systems; and may include such areas as the operating characteristics of electric power system generators, transformers, and switchgear; maintenance of electric power distribution system equipment including distribution lines; typical circuits, voltages, and conductors used for the distribution of electrical power; and safe operating practices when working with electric power distribution systems.
The New York State Department of Civil Service has not prepared a test guide for this examination. However, candidates may find information in the publication "How to take a written test" helpful in preparing for this test. This publication is available on line at: www.cs.ny.gov/testing/localtestguides.cfm
Candidates are allowed to use quiet, hand-held, solar or battery powered calculators. Devices with typewriter keyboards, spell checkers, personal digital assistants, address books, language translators, dictionaries or any similar devices are prohibited.
This examination is being prepared and rated in accordance with Section 23(2) of the Civil Service Law. The provisions of the New York State Civil Service Law, Rules, and Regulations dealing with the preparation and rating of examinations, as well as establishment and certification of eligible lists for positions in the classified service will apply to this examination.
Applications will be accepted up to August 23, 2014, and may be obtained from the Civil Service Commission website at: www.cattco.org/jobs.
Cattaraugus County - An Equal Opportunity Employer
Issued: July 23, 2014
Complete Job Description & Qualifications
Download the following file for the complete job description and qualifications for the Line Worker, #73798 Promotional position.
PARTICIPATION IN MULTIPLE EXAMINATIONS: If you have applied for both State and Local government examinations, you must take all your examinations at the State examination center. You will be advised by letter when and where to report for your examinations.
If you have applied for another local government examination with another local civil service agency, call or write each civil service agency to make arrangements. You must notify all government civil service agencies with whom you have filed an application of the test site at which you wish to take your examination.
SATURDAY SABBATH OBSERVERS - HANDICAPPED PERSONS: If special arrangements for testing are required, please indicate this on your application(s).
CANDIDATES PLEASE NOTE: Your application for this test is part of the examination process. Applications must be completely filled out with all pertinent information stated. The Commission does not refer to other applications on file for additional information. Applications which do not show training and/or experience to meet the minimum qualifications will be disapproved. Vagueness and ambiguity will not be resolved in your favor.
VETERANS: Disabled and non-disabled war veterans who are eligible for additional credits must submit an application for veterans' credits. Candidates who wish to claim veterans' credits on an examination should request an application and information sheet from the Cattaraugus County Civil Service Commission. Veterans' application forms will also be available upon request at the examination center. The completed forms must be received before the eligible list for the examination is established in order to utilize additional credits.
Effective January 1, 2014, War-time Veterans who previously used non-disabled veterans credits for appointment or promotion and are subsequently certified by the Veteran's Administration as a disabled veteran may again be eligible for additional exam credits. To apply for subsequent disabled veteran credits, complete the Veteran Credit application and check the applicable box, additionally you are required to follow the directions below regarding Disabled Veterans credits.
Effective January 1, 1998, the State Constitution was amended to permit a candidate currently in the armed forces to apply for and be conditionally granted veteran's credit in examinations. Any candidate who applies for such credit must provide proof of military status to receive the conditional credit. No credit may be granted after the establishment of the list. It is the responsibility of the candidate to provide appropriate documentary proof indicating that the service was in time of war, as defined in Section 85 of Civil Service Law, and that the candidate received an honorable discharge or was released under honorable conditions in order to be certified at a score including veteran's credits.
In conformance with Section 85-a of the Civil Service Law, children of firefighters and police officers killed in the line of duty shall be entitled to receive an additional ten points in a competitive examination for original appointment in the same municipality in which his or her parent has served. If you are qualified to participate in this examination and are a child of a firefighter or police officer killed in the line of duty in this municipality, please inform this office of this matter when you submit your application for examination. A candidate claiming such credit has a minimum of two months from the application deadline to provide the necessary documentation to verify additional credit eligibility. However, no credit may be added after the eligible list has been established.
Cattaraugus County an Equal Opportunity Employer