Motor Vehicles Office Supervisor #79536 PROMOTIONAL
Civil Service Job: Yes
Applications received by mail must be postmarked no later than Wednesday, March 16, 2011
Examinations will be held on Saturday, April 30, 2011
$20.46 - $22.84
Information on the Motor Vehicles Office Supervisor #79536 PROMOTIONAL position
Fee Paid By Employer: Pursuant to the Collective Bargaining Agreement between the County of Cattaraugus and CSEA/AFSCME Local 1000, a $10.00 examination-processing fee is paid on behalf of bargaining unit members participating in this examination.
Duties: The work involves supervising employees engaged in the review and processing of transactions related to the licensing of drivers and the registration of vehicles at a motor vehicle bureau office. An incumbent also participates in these activities while assuring adherence to procedures, laws, regulations, and performance standards. Duties are performed under the general supervision of the Director of the Motor Vehicle Bureau, Office of the County Clerk. Direct supervision is exercised over Motor Vehicle Representatives. A Motor Vehicle Office Supervisor does related work as required.
Promotion Qualifications: One year of permanent service as a Motor Vehicle Representative.
Subject of Examination: Written test will cover knowledges, skills and /or abilities in such areas as:
1. Knowledge of New York State Vehicle and Traffic laws, rules and regulations relating to licensing and registration - The subtest may include but will not necessarily be limited to provisions of the New York State Vehicle and Traffic Law, and Rules and Regulations dealing with driver licensing and/or registration of vehicles, dealers and motor vehicle inspection stations.
The subtest will test your knowledge in these areas through recall and recognition of such provisions and/or by applying such provisions to hypothetical situations.
2. Office management - These questions test for knowledge of the principles and practices of planning, organizing and controlling the activities of an office and directing those performing office activities so as to achieve predetermined objectives such as accomplishing office work within reasonable limits of time, effort and cost expenditure. Typical activities may include but will not be restricted to: simplifying and improving procedures, increasing office efficiency, improving the office work environment and controlling office supplies.
3. Office record keeping - These questions test your ability to perform common office record keeping tasks. The test consists of two or more "sets" of questions, each set concerning a different problem. Typical record keeping problems might involve the organization or collation of data from several sources; scheduling; maintaining a record system using running balances; or completion of a table summarizing data using totals, subtotals, averages and percents.
4. Supervision - These questions test for knowledge of the principles and practices employed in planning, organizing, and controlling the activities of a work unit toward predetermined objectives. The concepts covered, usually in a situational question format, include such topics as assigning and reviewing work; evaluating performance; maintaining work standards; motivating and developing subordinates; implementing procedural change; increasing efficiency; and dealing with problems of absenteeism, morale, and discipline.
5. Understanding and interpreting written material based on the Vehicle and Traffic law, rules and regulations - These questions test for the ability to read, understand and interpret various provisions of the above named law, rules or regulations. This part of the test will contain several reading selections based on or extracted from a passage of legal text. The candidate must read each selection and then answer one or more questions based upon it. All factual information needed to answer these questions is contained in the reading selections. No prior knowledge of that information is necessary to answer the questions correctly.
Candidates are allowed to use quiet, hand-held, solar or battery powered calculators. Devices with typewriter keyboards, spell checkers, personal digital assistants, address books, language translators, dictionaries or any similar devices are prohibited.
Seniority Points will be added to an eligible’s score as follows, based on the date of permanent appointment in the classified service with Cattaraugus County:
Less than 1 year 0 points
1 year up to 6 years 1 point
6 years up to 11 years 2 points
11 years up to 16 years 3 points
16 years up to 21 years 4 points
Over 21 years 5 points
PARTICIPATION IN MULTIPLE EXAMINATIONS: If you have applied for both State and Local government examinations, you must take all your examinations at the State examination center. You will be advised by letter when and where to report for your examinations.
If you have applied for another local government examination with another local civil service agency, call or write each civil service agency to make arrangements. You must notify all government civil service agencies with whom you have filed an application of the test site at which you wish to take your examination.
SATURDAY SABBATH OBSERVERS - HANDICAPPED PERSONS: If special arrangements for testing are required, please indicate this on your application(s).
CANDIDATES PLEASE NOTE: Your application for this test is part of the examination process. Applications must be completely filled out with all pertinent information stated. The Commission does not refer to other applications on file for additional information. Applications which do not show training and/or experience to meet the minimum qualifications will be disapproved. Vagueness and ambiguity will not be resolved in your favor.
VETERANS: Disabled and non-disabled war veterans who are eligible for additional credits must submit an application for veterans' credits. Candidates who wish to claim veterans' credits on an examination should request an application and information sheet from the Cattaraugus County Civil Service Commission. Veterans' application forms will also be available upon request at the examination center. The completed forms must be received before the eligible list for the examination is established in order to utilize additional credits. Effective January 1, 1998, the State Constitution was amended to permit a candidate currently in the armed forces to apply for and be conditionally granted veteran's credit in examinations. Any candidate who applies for such credit must provide proof of military status to receive the conditional credit. No credit may be granted after the establishment of the list. It is the responsibility of the candidate to provide appropriate documentary proof indicating that the service was in time of war, as defined in Section 85 of Civil Service Law, and that the candidate received an honorable discharge or was released under honorable conditions in order to be certified at a score including veteran's credits.
In conformance with Section 85-a of the Civil Service Law, children of firefighters and police officers killed in the line of duty shall be entitled to receive an additional ten points in a competitive examination for original appointment in the same municipality in which his or her parent has served. If you are qualified to participate in this examination and are a child of a firefighter or police officer killed in the line of duty in this municipality, please inform this office of this matter when you submit your application for examination. A candidate claiming such credit has a minimum of two months from the application deadline to provide the necessary documentation to verify additional credit eligibility. However, no credit may be added after the eligible list has been established.
This examination is being prepared and rated by the New York State Civil Service Department in accordance with Section 23-2 of the Civil Service Law. The provisions of the New York State Civil Service Rules and Regulations dealing with the rating of examinations will apply to this examination.
Cattaraugus County an Equal Opportunity Employer