Principal Account Clerk #71290 (PROMOTIONAL)
Civil Service Job: Yes
Applications received by mail must be postmarked no later than Wednesday, October 17, 2012
Examinations will be held on Saturday, December 1, 2012
Information on the Principal Account Clerk #71290 (PROMOTIONAL) position
Vacancy: Eligible List may be used to fill vacancies which may occur the Cattaraugus County Department of Social Services
Salary: $19.04 - $21.17 per hour (Grade 19-General Unit) Employees hired on, or after 1/1/04
$19.04 - $22.74 per hour (Grade 19-General Unit) Employees hired prior to 1/1/04
Fee Paid By Employer. Pursuant to the Collective Bargaining Agreement between the County of Cattaraugus and CSEA/AFSCME Local 1000, a $10.00 examination-processing fee is paid on behalf of bargaining unit members participating in this examination.
Promotion Qualifications: You must be currently employed by the Cattaraugus County Department of Social Services and on the date of examination be serving and have served continuously on a permanent basis for one (1) year as a Senior Account Clerk Typist.
Duties: This is important account keeping work involving responsibility for the proper maintenance of accounting records and requiring the application of experience and judgement in processing complicated or non-repetitive accounting transactions. An incumbent selects from among a variety of prescribed accounting codes and classifications and may trace transaction through previous accounting steps to determine sources of discrepancies. The work is performed under general supervision with considerable leeway permitted for the exercise of independent judgement. Supervision is exercised over the work of clerical assistants.
Subject of Examination: Written test will cover knowledges, skills and /or abilities in such areas as:
1. Fundamentals of account keeping and bookkeeping - These questions test for a knowledge of basic principles and practices of account keeping and bookkeeping. The questions test for recognizing account keeping and bookkeeping terms, concepts and relationships; recording financial transactions; and solving elementary problems in account keeping and bookkeeping.
2. Preparing written material - These questions test for the ability to present information clearly and accurately, and to organize paragraphs logically and comprehensibly. For some questions, you will be given information in two or three sentences followed by four restatements of the information. You must then choose the best version. For other questions, you will be given paragraphs with their sentences out of order. You must then choose, from four suggestions, the best order for the sentences.
3. Supervision - These questions test for knowledge of the principles and practices employed in planning, organizing, and controlling the activities of a work unit toward predetermined objectives. The concepts covered, usually in a situational question format, include such topics as assigning and reviewing work; evaluating performance; maintaining work standards; motivating and developing subordinates; implementing procedural change; increasing efficiency; and dealing with problems of absenteeism, morale, and discipline.
4. Understanding and interpreting tabular material - These questions test your ability to understand, analyze, and use the internal logic of data presented in tabular form. You may be asked to perform tasks such as completing tables, drawing conclusions from them, analyzing data trends or interrelationships, and revising or combining data sets. The concepts of rate, ratio, and proportion are tested. Mathematical operations are simple, and computational speed is not a major factor in the test. You should bring with you a hand-held battery- or solar-powered calculator for use on this test. You will not be permitted to use the calculator function of your cell phone.
5. Understanding and interpreting written material - These questions test how well you comprehend written material. You will be provided with brief reading selections and will be asked questions about the selections. All the information required to answer the questions will be presented in the selections; you will not be required to have any special knowledge relating to the subject areas of the selections.
A Guide for the Written Test for Higher Level Account Clerical is available at the New York State website:www.cs.ny.gov/testing/localtestguides.cfm.
Candidates are recommended to use quiet, hand-held, solar or battery powered calculators. Devices with typewriter keyboards, spell checkers, personal digital assistants, address books, language translators, dictionaries or any similar devices are prohibited.
Complete Job Description & Qualifications
Download the following file for the complete job description and qualifications for the Principal Account Clerk #71290 (PROMOTIONAL) position.
PARTICIPATION IN MULTIPLE EXAMINATIONS: If you have applied for both State and Local government examinations, you must take all your examinations at the State examination center. You will be advised by letter when and where to report for your examinations.
If you have applied for another local government examination with another local civil service agency, call or write each civil service agency to make arrangements. You must notify all government civil service agencies with whom you have filed an application of the test site at which you wish to take your examination.
SATURDAY SABBATH OBSERVERS - HANDICAPPED PERSONS: If special arrangements for testing are required, please indicate this on your application(s).
CANDIDATES PLEASE NOTE: Your application for this test is part of the examination process. Applications must be completely filled out with all pertinent information stated. The Commission does not refer to other applications on file for additional information. Applications which do not show training and/or experience to meet the minimum qualifications will be disapproved. Vagueness and ambiguity will not be resolved in your favor.
VETERANS: Disabled and non-disabled war veterans who are eligible for additional credits must submit an application for veterans' credits. Candidates who wish to claim veterans' credits on an examination should request an application and information sheet from the Cattaraugus County Civil Service Commission. Veterans' application forms will also be available upon request at the examination center. The completed forms must be received before the eligible list for the examination is established in order to utilize additional credits.
Effective January 1, 2014, War-time Veterans who previously used non-disabled veterans credits for appointment or promotion and are subsequently certified by the Veteran's Administration as a disabled veteran may again be eligible for additional exam credits. To apply for subsequent disabled veteran credits, complete the Veteran Credit application and check the applicable box, additionally you are required to follow the directions below regarding Disabled Veterans credits.
Effective January 1, 1998, the State Constitution was amended to permit a candidate currently in the armed forces to apply for and be conditionally granted veteran's credit in examinations. Any candidate who applies for such credit must provide proof of military status to receive the conditional credit. No credit may be granted after the establishment of the list. It is the responsibility of the candidate to provide appropriate documentary proof indicating that the service was in time of war, as defined in Section 85 of Civil Service Law, and that the candidate received an honorable discharge or was released under honorable conditions in order to be certified at a score including veteran's credits.
In conformance with Section 85-a of the Civil Service Law, children of firefighters and police officers killed in the line of duty shall be entitled to receive an additional ten points in a competitive examination for original appointment in the same municipality in which his or her parent has served. If you are qualified to participate in this examination and are a child of a firefighter or police officer killed in the line of duty in this municipality, please inform this office of this matter when you submit your application for examination. A candidate claiming such credit has a minimum of two months from the application deadline to provide the necessary documentation to verify additional credit eligibility. However, no credit may be added after the eligible list has been established.
Cattaraugus County an Equal Opportunity Employer