Probation Assistant #78782 Promotional
Civil Service Job: Yes
Applications received by mail must be postmarked no later than Wednesday, September 15, 2010
Examinations will be held on Saturday, October 30, 2010
$18.55 - $20.66
Information on the Probation Assistant #78782 Promotional position
Fee Paid By Employer Pursuant to the Collective Bargaining Agreement between the County of Cattaraugus and CSEA/AFSCME Local 1000, a $10.00 examination-processing fee is paid on behalf of bargaining unit members participating in this examination.
Residency: Preference in appointment may be given to successful candidates who have been, at the time of examination and for at least one month prior thereto, a resident of the jurisdiction in which the vacancy exists.
Duties: This is a paraprofessional position involving responsibility for assisting Probation Officers in a local probation agency in selected tasks related to the various processes of probation service. An employee in this title may perform such tasks for a number of Probation Officers and/or may be a member of a team evaluation or supervision program. The establishment of such positions enables Probation Officers to concentrate to a greater extent on individual, group and community needs requiring professional attention and specifically to offer greater supportive assistance to persons serviced by the probation agency. The ratio of probation assistant positions to probation officer positions (including Probation Officer Trainees) shall not be in excess of one to four without written approval of the State Director of Probation.
Promotional Qualifications: This examination is open to all employees of the Probation Department with six months of permanent competitive class status in a lower grade position and meets the following minimum qualifications: Graduation from high school or possession of a high school equivalency diploma.
Subject of Examination: Written test will cover knowledges, skills and /or abilities in such areas as:
1. Applying information - These questions test for the ability to apply simple information. You will be given a Resource Directory that describes community agencies, their purposes and the type of client each serves. Questions describe clients with a variety of problems and situations. You must determine the appropriate referral for clients based on the services which each agency provides.
2. Establishing and maintaining working relationships with defendants/respondents and probationers - Questions present descriptions of situations typically encountered in working with clients in such areas as obtaining information from clients and exploring clients' social, psychological or legal problems. Candidates will be required to choose the best analysis of, solution to, or approach for handling the problem described. In addition, some questions may test for understanding of correct reasons, arguments or factors regarding typical concepts encountered in working with clients.
3. Interviewing - These questions test for knowledge of the principles and practices employed in obtaining information from individuals through structured conversations. These questions require you to apply the principles, practices, and techniques of effective interviewing to hypothetical interviewing situations. Included are questions that present a problem arising from an interviewing situation, and you must choose the most appropriate course of action to take.
4. Office record keeping - These questions test your ability to perform common office record keeping tasks. The test consists of two or more "sets" of questions, each set concerning a different problem. Typical record keeping problems might involve the organization or collation of data from several sources; scheduling; maintaining a record system using running balances; or completion of a table summarizing data using totals, subtotals, averages and percents.
5. Preparing written material - These questions test for the ability to present information clearly and accurately, and to organize paragraphs logically and comprehensibly. For some questions, you will be given information in two or three sentences followed by four restatements of the information. You must then choose the best version. For other questions, you will be given paragraphs with their sentences out of order. You must then choose, from four suggestions, the best order for the sentences.
Seniority Points will be added to an eligible’s score as follows, based on the date of permanent appointment in the classified service with Cattaraugus County:
Less than 1 year 0 points
1 year up to 6 years 1 point
6 years up to 11 years 2 points
11 years up to 16 years 3 points
16 years up to 21 years 4 points
Over 21 years 5 points
PARTICIPATION IN MULTIPLE EXAMINATIONS: If you have applied for both State and Local government examinations, you must take all your examinations at the State examination center. You will be advised by letter when and where to report for your examinations.
If you have applied for another local government examination with another local civil service agency, call or write each civil service agency to make arrangements. You must notify all government civil service agencies with whom you have filed an application of the test site at which you wish to take your examination.
SATURDAY SABBATH OBSERVERS - HANDICAPPED PERSONS: If special arrangements for testing are required, please indicate this on your application(s).
CANDIDATES PLEASE NOTE: Your application for this test is part of the examination process. Applications must be completely filled out with all pertinent information stated. The Commission does not refer to other applications on file for additional information. Applications which do not show training and/or experience to meet the minimum qualifications will be disapproved. Vagueness and ambiguity will not be resolved in your favor.
VETERANS: Disabled and non-disabled war veterans who are eligible for additional credits must submit an application for veterans' credits. Candidates who wish to claim veterans' credits on an examination should request an application and information sheet from the Cattaraugus County Civil Service Commission. Veterans' application forms will also be available upon request at the examination center. The completed forms must be received before the eligible list for the examination is established in order to utilize additional credits. Effective January 1, 1998, the State Constitution was amended to permit a candidate currently in the armed forces to apply for and be conditionally granted veteran's credit in examinations. Any candidate who applies for such credit must provide proof of military status to receive the conditional credit. No credit may be granted after the establishment of the list. It is the responsibility of the candidate to provide appropriate documentary proof indicating that the service was in time of war, as defined in Section 85 of Civil Service Law, and that the candidate received an honorable discharge or was released under honorable conditions in order to be certified at a score including veteran's credits.
In conformance with Section 85-a of the Civil Service Law, children of firefighters and police officers killed in the line of duty shall be entitled to receive an additional ten points in a competitive examination for original appointment in the same municipality in which his or her parent has served. If you are qualified to participate in this examination and are a child of a firefighter or police officer killed in the line of duty in this municipality, please inform this office of this matter when you submit your application for examination. A candidate claiming such credit has a minimum of two months from the application deadline to provide the necessary documentation to verify additional credit eligibility. However, no credit may be added after the eligible list has been established.
This examination is being prepared and rated by the New York State Civil Service Department in accordance with Section 23-2 of the Civil Service Law. The provisions of the New York State Civil Service Rules and Regulations dealing with the rating of examinations will apply to this examination.
Cattaraugus County an Equal Opportunity Employer