Promotional: Operations Manager (Public Works) #77347
Civil Service Job: Yes
Applications received by mail must be postmarked no later than Wednesday, April 14, 2010
Examinations will be held on Saturday, May 22, 2010
$25.00 - $29.77 per hour (depends upon appointed date)
Information on the Promotional: Operations Manager (Public Works) #77347 position
(Grade 30-Supervisory Unit)
$25.00 - $29.77 per hour (employees appointed prior to 7/1/07)
$25.00 - $27.87 (employees appointed on or after 7/1/07)
NOTE: (Inter-office mail received after the final filing date will be disapproved).
Fee Paid By Employer
Pursuant to the Collective Bargaining Agreement between the County of Cattaraugus and CSEA/AFSCME Local 1000, a $10.00 examination-processing fee is paid on behalf of bargaining unit members participating in this examination.
This examination is open to permanent employees of the Cattaraugus County Department of Public Works who are holding the position of Road Section Supervisor in the competitive class of the county service for a period of at least six (6) months.
Possession of a New York State Class B driver’s license at time of appointment.
The work involves overseeing the daily operations of the Highway Division of the Cattaraugus County Department of Public Works. Duties are performed under the general supervision of the Commissioner of Public Works with wide latitude allowed for the exercise of independent judgement when deploying personnel and equipment. General supervision is exercised over subordinate supervisors and employees. An Operations Manager does related work as required.
Subject of Examination:
Written test will cover knowledges, skills and /or abilities in such areas as:
- Administrative supervision - These questions test for knowledge of the principles and practices involved in directing the activities of a large subordinate staff, including subordinate supervisors. Questions relate to the personal interactions between an upper level supervisor and his/her subordinate supervisors in the accomplishment of objectives. These questions cover such areas as assigning work to and coordinating the activities of several units, establishing and guiding staff development programs, evaluating the performance of subordinate supervisors, and maintaining relationships with other organizational sections.
- Preparing written material - These questions test for the ability to present information clearly and accurately, and to organize paragraphs logically and comprehensibly. For some questions, you will be given information in two or three sentences followed by four restatements of the information. You must then choose the best version. For other questions, you will be given paragraphs with their sentences out of order. You must then choose, from four suggestions, the best order for the sentences.
- Highways, drainage facilities, related structures, and snow and ice control - These questions test for knowledge of the maintenance and repair of highway-related structures and may include such areas as roadway surfaces, shoulders, embankments, drainage materials, guiderails, highway maintenance equipment, and ice and snow removal and control.
- Operation and preventative maintenance of automobiles, trucks and heavy equipment - These questions test for knowledge of the terminology, troubleshooting techniques and proper procedures used in the maintenance and operation of motorized vehicles and equipment used in various types of public works projects.
- Safety practices - These questions test for knowledge of and the ability to apply safety principles related to public works construction zones, including traffic control, safe use of equipment and the overall safety of workers, the traveling public and the work environment.
- Plans, specifications and technical instructions - These questions test for the ability to understand, analyze and perform computations based on technical drawings and written presentations related to various public works projects. All the information needed to answer the questions will be provided in the written material and/or drawings.
- Purchasing procedures, cost estimates and controls, and contract administration - These questions test for knowledge of purchasing practices; cost accounting including calculating construction expenses; inventory control; contract provisions for public works projects; and properly overseeing projects to their completion.
Candidates are recommended to use quiet, hand-held, solar or battery powered calculators. Devices with typewriter keyboards, spell checkers, personal digital assistants, address books, language translators, dictionaries or any similar devices are prohibited.
Seniority Points will be added to an eligible’s score as follows, based on the date of permanent appointment in the classified service with Cattaraugus County:
|Less than 1 year||0 points|
|1 year up to 6 years||1 point|
|6 years up to 11 years||2 points|
|11 years up to 16 years||3 points|
|16 years up to 21 years||4 points|
|Over 21 years||5 points|
PARTICIPATION IN MULTIPLE EXAMINATIONS: If you have applied for both State and Local government examinations, you must take all your examinations at the State examination center. You will be advised by letter when and where to report for your examinations.
If you have applied for another local government examination with another local civil service agency, call or write each civil service agency to make arrangements. You must notify all government civil service agencies with whom you have filed an application of the test site at which you wish to take your examination.
SATURDAY SABBATH OBSERVERS - HANDICAPPED PERSONS: If special arrangements for testing are required, please indicate this on your application(s).
CANDIDATES PLEASE NOTE: Your application for this test is part of the examination process. Applications must be completely filled out with all pertinent information stated. The Commission does not refer to other applications on file for additional information. Applications which do not show training and/or experience to meet the minimum qualifications will be disapproved. Vagueness and ambiguity will not be resolved in your favor.
VETERANS: Disabled and non-disabled war veterans who are eligible for additional credits must submit an application for veterans' credits. Candidates who wish to claim veterans' credits on an examination should request an application and information sheet from the Cattaraugus County Civil Service Commission. Veterans' application forms will also be available upon request at the examination center. The completed forms must be received before the eligible list for the examination is established in order to utilize additional credits. Effective January 1, 1998, the State Constitution was amended to permit a candidate currently in the armed forces to apply for and be conditionally granted veteran's credit in examinations. Any candidate who applies for such credit must provide proof of military status to receive the conditional credit. No credit may be granted after the establishment of the list. It is the responsibility of the candidate to provide appropriate documentary proof indicating that the service was in time of war, as defined in Section 85 of Civil Service Law, and that the candidate received an honorable discharge or was released under honorable conditions in order to be certified at a score including veteran's credits.
In conformance with Section 85-a of the Civil Service Law, children of firefighters and police officers killed in the line of duty shall be entitled to receive an additional ten points in a competitive examination for original appointment in the same municipality in which his or her parent has served. If you are qualified to participate in this examination and are a child of a firefighter or police officer killed in the line of duty in this municipality, please inform this office of this matter when you submit your application for examination. A candidate claiming such credit has a minimum of two months from the application deadline to provide the necessary documentation to verify additional credit eligibility. However, no credit may be added after the eligible list has been established.
This examination is being prepared and rated by the New York State Civil Service Department in accordance with Section 23-2 of the Civil Service Law. The provisions of the New York State Civil Service Rules and Regulations dealing with the rating of examinations will apply to this examination.
Cattaraugus County an Equal Opportunity Employer