Promotional Unit Supervisor #78252
Civil Service Job: Yes
Applications received by mail must be postmarked no later than Wednesday, May 5, 2010
Examinations will be held on Saturday, June 12, 2010
Information on the Promotional Unit Supervisor #78252 position
Grade 26-Supervisory Unit
- $23.93 - $29.28 per hour (employees appointed prior to 7/1/07)
- $23.93 - $27.10 per hour (employees appointed on or after 7/1/07)
Fee Paid By Employer
Pursuant to the Collective Bargaining Agreement between the County of Cattaraugus and CSEA/AFSCME Local 1000, a $10.00 examination-processing fee is paid on behalf of bargaining unit members participating in this examination.
You must currently be employed by Cattaraugus County Department of Social Services and on the date of examination be serving and have served continuously on a permanent basis for three years as a Caseworker (NOTE: One year Traineeship does not count toward permanent caseworker experience).
The work involves supervising caseworkers providing social services to individuals and/or their families in a specified service area or program including childrens services, general family services or child protective services. The work is carried out in accordance with Federal, State and local policies and procedures. Work is performed under the general supervision of a Case Supervisor with broad leeway permitted in directing, coordinating and meeting the work objective of the Unit. Supervision is exercised over the casework, para-professional and clerical staff assigned to the Unit. A Unit Supervisor does related work as required.
Subject of Examination
Written test designed to evaluate knowledge, skills and/or abilities in the following areas:
1. Case histories in social services casework programs - These questions test for knowledge and ability to provide appropriate and effective case services to clients who use various Social Services programs. Questions may cover such topics as establishing rapport with clients; assessing client problems; developing and implementing plans that effectively address those problems; providing ongoing support to clients; appropriate utilization of Social Services and other social and community programs; evaluation of client progress; and case closure.
2. Interviewing - These questions test for knowledge of the principles and practices employed in obtaining information from individuals through structured conversations. These questions require you to apply the principles, practices, and techniques of effective interviewing to hypothetical interviewing situations. Included are questions that present a problem arising from an interviewing situation, and you must choose the most appropriate course of action to take.
3. Preparing written material - These questions test for the ability to present information clearly and accurately, and to organize paragraphs logically and comprehensibly. For some questions, you will be given information in two or three sentences followed by four restatements of the information. You must then choose the best version. For other questions, you will be given paragraphs with their sentences out of order. You must then choose, from four suggestions, the best order for the sentences.
4. Principles and practices of social casework - These questions test for knowledge of the principles and practices used in social casework. Questions may cover such topics as symptoms and treatments associated with various mental, social, and physical illnesses and disabilities; client rights and confidentiality; referral techniques; maintaining client records; establishing and maintaining relationships with clients, families, co-workers, referral agencies, and the general public; and professional and ethical concerns in casework practice.
5. Supervision - These questions test for knowledge of the principles and practices employed in planning, organizing, and controlling the activities of a work unit toward predetermined objectives. The concepts covered, usually in a situational question format, include such topics as assigning and reviewing work; evaluating performance; maintaining work standards; motivating and developing subordinates; implementing procedural change; increasing efficiency; and dealing with problems of absenteeism, morale, and discipline.
Candidates are allowed to use quiet, hand-held, solar or battery powered calculators. Devices with typewriter keyboards, spell checkers, personal digital assistants, address books, language translators, dictionaries or any similar devices are prohibited.
Seniority points will be added to an eligible’s score as follows, based on the date of permanent appointment in the classified service with Cattaraugus County:
- Less than 1 year 0 points
- 1 year up to 6 years 1 point
- 6 years up to 11 years 2 points
- 11 years up to 16 years 3 points
- 16 years up to 21 years 4 points
- Over 21 years 5 points
PARTICIPATION IN MULTIPLE EXAMINATIONS: If you have applied for both State and Local government examinations, you must take all your examinations at the State examination center. You will be advised by letter when and where to report for your examinations.
If you have applied for another local government examination with another local civil service agency, call or write each civil service agency to make arrangements. You must notify all government civil service agencies with whom you have filed an application of the test site at which you wish to take your examination.
SATURDAY SABBATH OBSERVERS - HANDICAPPED PERSONS: If special arrangements for testing are required, please indicate this on your application(s).
CANDIDATES PLEASE NOTE: Your application for this test is part of the examination process. Applications must be completely filled out with all pertinent information stated. The Commission does not refer to other applications on file for additional information. Applications which do not show training and/or experience to meet the minimum qualifications will be disapproved. Vagueness and ambiguity will not be resolved in your favor.
VETERANS: Disabled and non-disabled war veterans who are eligible for additional credits must submit an application for veterans' credits. Candidates who wish to claim veterans' credits on an examination should request an application and information sheet from the Cattaraugus County Civil Service Commission. Veterans' application forms will also be available upon request at the examination center. The completed forms must be received before the eligible list for the examination is established in order to utilize additional credits.
Effective January 1, 2014, War-time Veterans who previously used non-disabled veterans credits for appointment or promotion and are subsequently certified by the Veteran's Administration as a disabled veteran may again be eligible for additional exam credits. To apply for subsequent disabled veteran credits, complete the Veteran Credit application and check the applicable box, additionally you are required to follow the directions below regarding Disabled Veterans credits.
Effective January 1, 1998, the State Constitution was amended to permit a candidate currently in the armed forces to apply for and be conditionally granted veteran's credit in examinations. Any candidate who applies for such credit must provide proof of military status to receive the conditional credit. No credit may be granted after the establishment of the list. It is the responsibility of the candidate to provide appropriate documentary proof indicating that the service was in time of war, as defined in Section 85 of Civil Service Law, and that the candidate received an honorable discharge or was released under honorable conditions in order to be certified at a score including veteran's credits.
In conformance with Section 85-a of the Civil Service Law, children of firefighters and police officers killed in the line of duty shall be entitled to receive an additional ten points in a competitive examination for original appointment in the same municipality in which his or her parent has served. If you are qualified to participate in this examination and are a child of a firefighter or police officer killed in the line of duty in this municipality, please inform this office of this matter when you submit your application for examination. A candidate claiming such credit has a minimum of two months from the application deadline to provide the necessary documentation to verify additional credit eligibility. However, no credit may be added after the eligible list has been established.
Cattaraugus County an Equal Opportunity Employer