Rehabilitation Specialist #63466 O.C. (Community Serivces)
Civil Service Job: Yes
Applications received by mail must be postmarked no later than Wednesday, February 2, 2011
Examinations will be held on Saturday, March 19, 2011
$21.28 - $23.80
Information on the Rehabilitation Specialist #63466 O.C. (Community Serivces) position
Fee Required: The State Civil Service Law requires our office to collect a processing fee from each applicant. The amount of the fee is ten dollars ($10) per applicant for Each examination applied for, payable at the time of filing of the application form, by check (personal or certified) or money order, payable to the “Cattaraugus County Treasurer”. Cash Will Not Be Accepted. Applicants whose personal checks are returned for insufficient funds will not be considered as candidates. Applicants must record the Examination Number(s) and Title(s) on their checks. Refunds of fees will not be issued to applicants who are disqualified for not meeting the minimum qualifications for admittance to the examination or who do not appear for testing on the scheduled test date. Therefore, Do Not Apply for an examination if you are not sure that you meet the minimum qualifications. Application Fees shall be waived for candidates that are unemployed and primarily responsible for the support of a household or are receiving public assistance. Please contact this office for an Application Fee Waiver Request and Certification Form.
Residency: Preference in appointment may be given to successful candidates who have been, at the time of examination and for at least one month prior thereto, a resident of the jurisdiction in which the vacancy exists.
Duties: The work involves providing direct and indirect services to clients of Mental Health related facilities. Incumbents are members of a team involved in assessing the needs of clientele and helping them cope with social, emotional and related difficulties associated with their illness. Duties are performed under general supervision with wide leeway allowed for the use of independent judgment in carrying out the details of the work. Employees in this class are expected to meet and consult with professionals or agencies in or outside the facility to obtain assistance and guidance for clients. Direct supervision may be exercised over employees and/or volunteers involved in the conduct of activities. A Rehabilitation Specialist does related work as required.
Minimum Qualifications: Either:
- Graduation from a regionally accredited or New York State registered college or university with a Bachelor’s Degree including or supplemented by twenty-four (24) credit hours in the social or behavioral sciences; OR
- Graduation from a regionally accredited or New York State registered college or university with a Bachelor’s Degree and one (1) year of full-time paid experience in counseling or social casework in a recognized agency adhering to acceptable standards in social services, psychiatric or medical social work or related work.
Subject of Examination: A written test designed to evaluate knowledge, skills and/or abilities in the following areas:
1. Characteristics and problems of individuals with mental illness - These questions test for knowledge and understanding of the symptoms, causes, characteristics, and treatment approaches associated with mental illness.
2. Interviewing - These questions test for knowledge of the principles and practices employed in obtaining information from individuals through structured conversations. These questions require you to apply the principles, practices, and techniques of effective interviewing to hypothetical interviewing situations. Included are questions that present a problem arising from an interviewing situation, and you must choose the most appropriate course of action to take.
3. Preparing written material - These questions test for the ability to present information clearly and accurately, and to organize paragraphs logically and comprehensibly. For some questions, you will be given information in two or three sentences followed by four restatements of the information. You must then choose the best version. For other questions, you will be given paragraphs with their sentences out of order. You must then choose, from four suggestions, the best order for the sentences.
4. Principles and practices of social casework - These questions test for knowledge of the principles and practices used in social casework. Questions may cover such topics as symptoms and treatments associated with various mental, social, and physical illnesses and disabilities; client rights and confidentiality; referral techniques; maintaining client records; establishing and maintaining relationships with clients, families, co-workers, referral agencies, and the general public; and professional and ethical concerns in casework practice.
Candidates are allowed to use quiet, hand-held, solar or battery powered calculators. Devices with typewriter keyboards, spell checkers, personal digital assistants, address books, language translators, dictionaries or any similar devices are prohibited.
Complete Job Description & Qualifications
Download the following file for the complete job description and qualifications for the Rehabilitation Specialist #63466 O.C. (Community Serivces) position.
PARTICIPATION IN MULTIPLE EXAMINATIONS: If you have applied for both State and Local government examinations, you must take all your examinations at the State examination center. You will be advised by letter when and where to report for your examinations.
If you have applied for another local government examination with another local civil service agency, call or write each civil service agency to make arrangements. You must notify all government civil service agencies with whom you have filed an application of the test site at which you wish to take your examination.
SATURDAY SABBATH OBSERVERS - HANDICAPPED PERSONS: If special arrangements for testing are required, please indicate this on your application(s).
CANDIDATES PLEASE NOTE: Your application for this test is part of the examination process. Applications must be completely filled out with all pertinent information stated. The Commission does not refer to other applications on file for additional information. Applications which do not show training and/or experience to meet the minimum qualifications will be disapproved. Vagueness and ambiguity will not be resolved in your favor.
VETERANS: Disabled and non-disabled war veterans who are eligible for additional credits must submit an application for veterans' credits. Candidates who wish to claim veterans' credits on an examination should request an application and information sheet from the Cattaraugus County Civil Service Commission. Veterans' application forms will also be available upon request at the examination center. The completed forms must be received before the eligible list for the examination is established in order to utilize additional credits.
Effective January 1, 2014, War-time Veterans who previously used non-disabled veterans credits for appointment or promotion and are subsequently certified by the Veteran's Administration as a disabled veteran may again be eligible for additional exam credits. To apply for subsequent disabled veteran credits, complete the Veteran Credit application and check the applicable box, additionally you are required to follow the directions below regarding Disabled Veterans credits.
Effective January 1, 1998, the State Constitution was amended to permit a candidate currently in the armed forces to apply for and be conditionally granted veteran's credit in examinations. Any candidate who applies for such credit must provide proof of military status to receive the conditional credit. No credit may be granted after the establishment of the list. It is the responsibility of the candidate to provide appropriate documentary proof indicating that the service was in time of war, as defined in Section 85 of Civil Service Law, and that the candidate received an honorable discharge or was released under honorable conditions in order to be certified at a score including veteran's credits.
In conformance with Section 85-a of the Civil Service Law, children of firefighters and police officers killed in the line of duty shall be entitled to receive an additional ten points in a competitive examination for original appointment in the same municipality in which his or her parent has served. If you are qualified to participate in this examination and are a child of a firefighter or police officer killed in the line of duty in this municipality, please inform this office of this matter when you submit your application for examination. A candidate claiming such credit has a minimum of two months from the application deadline to provide the necessary documentation to verify additional credit eligibility. However, no credit may be added after the eligible list has been established.
Cattaraugus County an Equal Opportunity Employer