ROAD SECTION SUPERVISOR #74338 PROMOTIONAL
Civil Service Job: Yes
Applications received by mail must be postmarked no later than Friday, March 28, 2014
Examinations will be held on Saturday, May 17, 2014
$21.74 - $24.52 per hour - Grade 25-Supervisory Unit
Information on the ROAD SECTION SUPERVISOR #74338 PROMOTIONAL position
Vacancy: The resulting Eligible List may be used to fill vacancies which may occur within the Cattaraugus County Department of Public Works.
Fee Paid By Employer. Pursuant to the Collective Bargaining Agreement between the County of Cattaraugus and CSEA/AFSCME Local 1000, a $15.00 examination-processing fee is paid on behalf of bargaining unit members participating in this examination.
Promotion Qualifications: This examination is open to permanent employees of the Cattaraugus County Department of Public Works who are holding the position of Assistant Road Section Supervisor in the competitive class of the county service for a period of at least one (1) year.
Special Requirement: At time of appointment, and thereafter, must possess and maintain a valid Class A or Class B Commercial Driver's License to operate a motor vehicle in New York State.
Duties: The work involves supervising the construction and maintenance of County roads within an assigned area. Duties are performed under the general supervision of the Department of Public Works Operations Manager with leeway allowed for the use of independent judgement in carrying out details of the work. Direct supervision is exercised over Assistant Road Section Supervisors, Commercial Drivers, Diesel Mechanic/Drivers, Equipment Operators and Laborers I and II. A Road Section Supervisor does related work as required.
Subject of Examination: Written test will cover knowledges, skills and /or abilities in such areas as:
1. Administrative supervision - These questions test for knowledge of the principles and practices involved in directing the activities of a large subordinate staff, including subordinate supervisors. Questions relate to the personal interactions between an upper level supervisor and his/her subordinate supervisors in the accomplishment of objectives. These questions cover such areas as assigning work to and coordinating the activities of several units, establishing and guiding staff development programs, evaluating the performance of subordinate supervisors, and maintaining relationships with other organizational sections.
2. Highways, drainage facilities, related structures, and snow and ice control - These questions test for knowledge of practices and materials used in the maintenance and repair of highway-related structures and may include such areas as roadway surfaces, shoulders, embankments, drainage materials, guide rails, highway maintenance equipment, and ice and snow removal and control.
3. Safety practices - These questions test for knowledge of and the ability to apply safety principles related to public works construction zones, including traffic control, safe use of equipment and the overall safety of workers, the traveling public and the work environment.
4. Plans, specifications and technical instructions - These questions test for the ability to understand, analyze and perform computations based on technical drawings and written presentations related to various public works projects. All the information needed to answer the questions will be provided in the written material and/or drawings.
5. Scheduling work and equipment - These questions test for knowledge of work scheduling principles and for the ability to arrange work and equipment assignments in a manner that will achieve work goals while staying within scheduling criteria. This may include setting up vacation or work schedules, taking into consideration such factors as seniority, work skills, duty hours and shift coverage.
The New York State Department of Civil Service has not prepared a test guide for this examination. However, candidates may find information in the publication "How to take a written test" helpful in preparing for this test. This publication is available on line at: www.cs.ny.gov/testing/localtestguides.cfm.
Candidates are recommended to use quiet, hand-held, solar or battery powered calculators. Devices with typewriter keyboards, spell checkers, personal digital assistants, address books, language translators, dictionaries or any similar devices are prohibited.
Seniority Points will be added to an eligible’s score as follows, based on the date of permanent appointment in the classified service with Cattaraugus County
Less than 1 year 0 points
1 year up to 6 years 1 point
6 years up to 11 years 2 points
11 years up to 16 years 3 points
16 years up to 21 years 4 points
Over 21 years 5 points
Complete Job Description & Qualifications
Download the following file for the complete job description and qualifications for the ROAD SECTION SUPERVISOR #74338 PROMOTIONAL position.
PARTICIPATION IN MULTIPLE EXAMINATIONS: If you have applied for both State and Local government examinations, you must take all your examinations at the State examination center. You will be advised by letter when and where to report for your examinations.
If you have applied for another local government examination with another local civil service agency, call or write each civil service agency to make arrangements. You must notify all government civil service agencies with whom you have filed an application of the test site at which you wish to take your examination.
SATURDAY SABBATH OBSERVERS - HANDICAPPED PERSONS: If special arrangements for testing are required, please indicate this on your application(s).
CANDIDATES PLEASE NOTE: Your application for this test is part of the examination process. Applications must be completely filled out with all pertinent information stated. The Commission does not refer to other applications on file for additional information. Applications which do not show training and/or experience to meet the minimum qualifications will be disapproved. Vagueness and ambiguity will not be resolved in your favor.
VETERANS: Disabled and non-disabled war veterans who are eligible for additional credits must submit an application for veterans' credits. Candidates who wish to claim veterans' credits on an examination should request an application and information sheet from the Cattaraugus County Civil Service Commission. Veterans' application forms will also be available upon request at the examination center. The completed forms must be received before the eligible list for the examination is established in order to utilize additional credits.
Effective January 1, 2014, War-time Veterans who previously used non-disabled veterans credits for appointment or promotion and are subsequently certified by the Veteran's Administration as a disabled veteran may again be eligible for additional exam credits. To apply for subsequent disabled veteran credits, complete the Veteran Credit application and check the applicable box, additionally you are required to follow the directions below regarding Disabled Veterans credits.
Effective January 1, 1998, the State Constitution was amended to permit a candidate currently in the armed forces to apply for and be conditionally granted veteran's credit in examinations. Any candidate who applies for such credit must provide proof of military status to receive the conditional credit. No credit may be granted after the establishment of the list. It is the responsibility of the candidate to provide appropriate documentary proof indicating that the service was in time of war, as defined in Section 85 of Civil Service Law, and that the candidate received an honorable discharge or was released under honorable conditions in order to be certified at a score including veteran's credits.
In conformance with Section 85-a of the Civil Service Law, children of firefighters and police officers killed in the line of duty shall be entitled to receive an additional ten points in a competitive examination for original appointment in the same municipality in which his or her parent has served. If you are qualified to participate in this examination and are a child of a firefighter or police officer killed in the line of duty in this municipality, please inform this office of this matter when you submit your application for examination. A candidate claiming such credit has a minimum of two months from the application deadline to provide the necessary documentation to verify additional credit eligibility. However, no credit may be added after the eligible list has been established.
Cattaraugus County an Equal Opportunity Employer