School Business Executive, #79347 Promotional Examination for Ellicottville Central School
Civil Service Job: Yes
Applications received by mail must be postmarked no later than Friday, April 20, 2018
Examinations will be held on Saturday, June 9, 2018
$75,000 - $85,000 per year
Information on the School Business Executive, #79347 Promotional Examination for Ellicottville Central School position
Vacancy: Eligible List may be used to fill vacancies which may occur within the Ellicottville Central School District.
Fee Required: The State Civil Service Law requires our office to collect a processing fee from each applicant. The amount of the fee is fifteen dollars ($15) per applicant for Each examination applied for, payable at the time of filing of the application form, by check (personal or certified) or money order, payable to the “Cattaraugus County Treasurer”. Cash Will Not Be Accepted. Applicants whose personal checks are returned for insufficient funds will not be considered as candidates for this exam or subsequent exams until such time as restitution is made. Applicants must record the Examination Number(s) and Title(s) on their checks. Refunds of fees will not be issued to applicants who are disqualified for not meeting the minimum qualifications for admittance to the examination, who file their application after the final filing date or who do not appear for testing on the scheduled test date. Therefore, Do Not Apply for an examination if you are not sure that you meet the minimum qualifications. Application fees shall be waived for candidates that are unemployed and primarily responsible for the support of a household or are receiving public assistance. Please contact this office for an Application Fee Waiver Request and Certification Form, or download from our website at: www.cattco.org/jobs.
Duties: This is a professional business management position responsible for supervision, performance, management, and coordination of a wide variety of business duties in a school district. Activities are performed in accordance with school district policies under the direction of the chief school officer with leeway permitted for the exercise of independent judgement. The incumbent directs the work of the business office and may supervise other assigned operational programs through unit heads. A School Business Executive does related work as required.
Promotional Qualifications: Candidates must be permanently employed by the Ellicottville Central School District in the competitive class in a lower grade position AND meet the following qualifications:
A) Graduation from a regionally accredited or New York State registered college or university with a Bachelor’s Degree including or supplemented by 24 semester credit hours in accounting, business education, or business administration and two years of business administration experience which must include account and budgeting duties one year of which shall have been in a supervisory capacity; OR
B) Graduation from a regionally accredited or New York State registered community with an Associate’s Degree in accounting or business administration and four years of business administration experience which must include accounting and budgeting duties two years of which shall have been in a supervisory capacity; OR
C) Graduation from a high school or possession of a high school equivalency diploma and six years of business administration experience which must include accounting and budgeting duties three years of which shall have been in a supervisory capacity; OR
D) An equivalent combination of training and experience as indicated in (A), (B), or (C).
NOTE: Experience as referenced above refers to fulltime paid experience. Paid experience gained on a part-time basis will be pro-rated to determine eligibility. Therefore, candidates must be specific when reporting number of hours worked.
Subjects of examination: A written test designed to evaluate knowledge, skills and /or abilities in the following areas:
1. Administrative supervision - These questions test for knowledge of the principles and practices involved in directing the activities of a large subordinate staff, including subordinate supervisors. Questions relate to the personal interactions between an upper level supervisor and his/her subordinate supervisors in the accomplishment of objectives. These questions cover such areas as assigning work to and coordinating the activities of several units, establishing and guiding staff development programs, evaluating the performance of subordinate supervisors, and maintaining relationships with other organizational sections.
2. Evaluating conclusions in light of known facts - These questions will consist of a set of factual statements and a conclusion. You must decide if the conclusion is proved by the facts, disproved by the facts or if the facts are not sufficient to prove or disprove the conclusion. The questions will not be specific to a particular field.
3. Preparing written material - These questions test for the ability to present information clearly and accurately, and to organize paragraphs logically and comprehensibly. For some questions, you will be given information in two or three sentences followed by four restatements of the information. You must then choose the best version. For other questions, you will be given paragraphs with their sentences out of order. You must then choose, from four suggestions, the best order for the sentences.
4. School Fiscal Management - These questions test for a general knowledge of financial matters as they relate to school business offices. The questions may include, but not necessarily be limited to, such matters as capital and operating budgeting; general and governmental accounting; cost analysis; internal controls; cash management; investment and debt management; insurance and risk management; financial reporting; general and governmental purchasing; transportation; food services; and facilities management.
5. Understanding and interpreting tabular material - These questions test your ability to understand, analyze, and use the internal logic of data presented in tabular form. You may be asked to perform tasks such as completing tables, drawing conclusions from them, analyzing data trends or interrelationships, and revising or combining data sets. The concepts of rate, ratio, and proportion are tested. Mathematical operations are simple, and computational speed is not a major factor in the test. You should bring with you a hand-held battery- or solar-powered calculator for use on this test. You will not be permitted to use the calculator function of your cell phone.
6. Understanding and interpreting written material - These questions test for the ability to understand and interpret written material. You will be presented with brief reading passages and will be asked questions about the passages. You should base your answers to the questions only on what is presented in the passages and not on what you may happen to know about the topic.
The New York State Department of Civil Service has not prepared a test guide for this examination. However, candidates may find information in the publication "How to take a written test" helpful in preparing for this test. This publication is available on line at: www.cs.ny.gov/testing/localtestguides.cfm
Candidates are RECOMMENDED to use quiet, hand-held, solar or battery powered calculators. Devices with typewriter keyboards, spell checkers, personal digital assistants, address books, language translators, dictionaries or any similar devices are prohibited.
Seniority Points will be added to an eligible’s score as follows, based on the date of permanent appointment in the classified service with the Ellicottville Central School District:
Less than 1 year 0 points
1 year up to 6 years 1 point
6 years up to 11 years 2 points
11 years up to 16 years 3 points
16 years up to 21 years 4 points
Over 21 years 5 points
Participation in Multiple Examinations: If you have applied for both State and local government examinations, you must notify the Cattaraugus County Civil Service Office of your intent to take both a State and a local government examination. When taking both a State and a local government examination you will be required to take all your examinations at a State examination center. You will be advised by letter when and where to report for your examinations.
If you have applied for another local government examination with another local civil service agency, call or write each civil service agency to make arrangements. You must notify all government civil service agencies with whom you have filed an application of the test site at which you wish to take your examinations.
Candidates Please Note: Your application for this test is part of the examination process. Applications must be completely filled out with all pertinent information stated. The Civil Service Office does not refer to other applications on file for additional information. Applications which do not show training and/or experience to meet the minimum qualifications will be disapproved. Vagueness and ambiguity will not be resolved in your favor.
This examination is being prepared and rated by the New York State Civil Service Department in accordance with Section 23-2 of the Civil Service Law. The provisions of the New York State Civil Service Rules and Regulations dealing with the rating of examinations will apply to this examination.
Applications will be accepted up to April 20, 2018, and may be obtained from the Civil Service web page at: www.cattco.org/jobs.
Cattaraugus County An Equal Opportunity Employer
Issued: March 21, 2018
Complete Job Description & Qualifications
Download the following file for the complete job description and qualifications for the School Business Executive, #79347 Promotional Examination for Ellicottville Central School position.
PARTICIPATION IN MULTIPLE EXAMINATIONS: If you have applied for both State and Local government examinations, you must take all your examinations at the State examination center. You will be advised by letter when and where to report for your examinations.
If you have applied for another local government examination with another local civil service agency, call or write each civil service agency to make arrangements. You must notify all government civil service agencies with whom you have filed an application of the test site at which you wish to take your examination.
SATURDAY SABBATH OBSERVERS - HANDICAPPED PERSONS: If special arrangements for testing are required, please indicate this on your application(s).
CANDIDATES PLEASE NOTE: Your application for this test is part of the examination process. Applications must be completely filled out with all pertinent information stated. The Commission does not refer to other applications on file for additional information. Applications which do not show training and/or experience to meet the minimum qualifications will be disapproved. Vagueness and ambiguity will not be resolved in your favor.
VETERANS: Disabled and non-disabled war veterans who are eligible for additional credits must submit an application for veterans' credits. Candidates who wish to claim veterans' credits on an examination should request an application and information sheet from the Cattaraugus County Civil Service Commission. Veterans' application forms will also be available upon request at the examination center. The completed forms must be received before the eligible list for the examination is established in order to utilize additional credits.
Effective January 1, 2014, War-time Veterans who previously used non-disabled veterans credits for appointment or promotion and are subsequently certified by the Veteran's Administration as a disabled veteran may again be eligible for additional exam credits. To apply for subsequent disabled veteran credits, complete the Veteran Credit application and check the applicable box, additionally you are required to follow the directions below regarding Disabled Veterans credits.
Effective January 1, 1998, the State Constitution was amended to permit a candidate currently in the armed forces to apply for and be conditionally granted veteran's credit in examinations. Any candidate who applies for such credit must provide proof of military status to receive the conditional credit. No credit may be granted after the establishment of the list. It is the responsibility of the candidate to provide appropriate documentary proof indicating that the service was in time of war, as defined in Section 85 of Civil Service Law, and that the candidate received an honorable discharge or was released under honorable conditions in order to be certified at a score including veteran's credits.
In conformance with Section 85-a of the Civil Service Law, children of firefighters and police officers killed in the line of duty shall be entitled to receive an additional ten points in a competitive examination for original appointment in the same municipality in which his or her parent has served. If you are qualified to participate in this examination and are a child of a firefighter or police officer killed in the line of duty in this municipality, please inform this office of this matter when you submit your application for examination. A candidate claiming such credit has a minimum of two months from the application deadline to provide the necessary documentation to verify additional credit eligibility. However, no credit may be added after the eligible list has been established.
Applications for School Business Executive, #79347 Promotional Examination for Ellicottville Central School will be accepted up to Friday, April 20, 2018, and may be obtained by downloading from the following links.
Cattaraugus County an Equal Opportunity Employer