Senior Automotive Mechanic #69649 O.C.
Civil Service Job: Yes
Applications received by mail must be postmarked no later than Wednesday, March 28, 2012
Examinations will be held on Saturday, May 12, 2012
$19.45 - $21.74
Information on the Senior Automotive Mechanic #69649 O.C. position
Vacancy: This open competitive exam is being held in conjunction with a promotional examination. Promotional examination eligibles will be certified first for filling Sr. Automotive Mechanic vacancies in the Department of Public Works.
Fee Required: The State Civil Service Law requires our office to collect a processing fee from each applicant. The amount of the fee is ten dollars ($10) per applicant for Each examination applied for, payable at the time of filing of the application form, by check (personal or certified) or money order, payable to the “Cattaraugus County Treasurer”. Cash Will Not Be Accepted. Applicants whose personal checks are returned for insufficient funds will not be considered as candidates. Applicants must record the Examination Number(s) and Title(s) on their checks. Refunds of fees will not be issued to applicants who are disqualified for not meeting the minimum qualifications for admittance to the examination or who do not appear for testing on the scheduled test date. Therefore, Do Not Apply for an examination if you are not sure that you meet the minimum qualifications.
Residency: Preference in appointment may be given to successful candidates who have been, at the time of examination and for at least one month prior thereto, a resident in which the vacancy exists.
Duties: The work involves supervision of, and participation in, the repair of a variety of automotive and heavy equipment. This position is distinguished by the advanced knowledge, skills, and experience in automotive maintenance repair. Duties are performed under general supervision with leeway allowed for the exercise of considerable independent judgment in carrying out the details of the work. Direct supervision is exercised over subordinate Automotive Mechanics, Helpers, and other staff assigned to the repair shop. A Senior Automotive Mechanic does related work as required.
Minimum Qualifications: Three (3) years of experience in the maintenance and repair of automotive equipment.
SPECIAL REQUIREMENT: In agencies where required, possession of a New York State Motor Vehicle Inspection license and appropriate commercial driver’s license at time of appointment.
Subject of Examination: Written test designed to evaluate knowledge, skills and /or abilities in the following areas:
1. Maintenance and repair of motor vehicles - These questions test for knowledge of the operating characteristics of the various mechanical and electrical components of motor vehicles and diagnostic practices involved in the maintenance and repair of these components.
2. Operation, maintenance, and repair of automotive, truck, and heavy highway maintenance equipment - These questions test for knowledge of the operating characteristics of various components of automotive and heavy motor vehicle equipment and the proper maintenance and repair procedures to use on this equipment.
3. Tools and test equipment used in the maintenance of automotive equipment - These questions test for knowledge of the correct procedures to use when checking, maintaining, and repairing automotive equipment, including the proper and safe use of various tools, instruments, circuit testers, and similar types of mechanical and electrical test and repair equipment.
4. Maintenance and repair of mechanically and electronically controlled internal combustion engines - These questions test for knowledge of the technical operating characteristics of internal combustion engines, including the ability to troubleshoot symptoms of poor operation and to diagnose and repair typical mechanical or electrical system problems, including computer controlled systems.
5. Supervision - These questions test for knowledge of the principles and practices employed in planning, organizing, and controlling the activities of a work unit toward predetermined objectives. The concepts covered, usually in a situational question format, include such topics as assigning and reviewing work; evaluating performance; maintaining work standards; motivating and developing subordinates; implementing procedural change; increasing efficiency; and dealing with problems of absenteeism, morale, and discipline.
The New York State Department of Civil Service has not prepared a test guide for this examination. However, candidates may find information in the publication "How to take a written test" helpful in preparing for this test. This publication is available on line at: www.cs.ny.gov/testing/localtestguides.cfm.
Candidates are allowed to use quiet, hand-held, solar or battery powered calculators. Devices with typewriter keyboards, spell checkers, personal digital assistants, address books, language translators, dictionaries or any similar devices are prohibited.
Complete Job Description & Qualifications
Download the following file for the complete job description and qualifications for the Senior Automotive Mechanic #69649 O.C. position.
PARTICIPATION IN MULTIPLE EXAMINATIONS: If you have applied for both State and Local government examinations, you must take all your examinations at the State examination center. You will be advised by letter when and where to report for your examinations.
If you have applied for another local government examination with another local civil service agency, call or write each civil service agency to make arrangements. You must notify all government civil service agencies with whom you have filed an application of the test site at which you wish to take your examination.
SATURDAY SABBATH OBSERVERS - HANDICAPPED PERSONS: If special arrangements for testing are required, please indicate this on your application(s).
CANDIDATES PLEASE NOTE: Your application for this test is part of the examination process. Applications must be completely filled out with all pertinent information stated. The Commission does not refer to other applications on file for additional information. Applications which do not show training and/or experience to meet the minimum qualifications will be disapproved. Vagueness and ambiguity will not be resolved in your favor.
VETERANS: Disabled and non-disabled war veterans who are eligible for additional credits must submit an application for veterans' credits. Candidates who wish to claim veterans' credits on an examination should request an application and information sheet from the Cattaraugus County Civil Service Commission. Veterans' application forms will also be available upon request at the examination center. The completed forms must be received before the eligible list for the examination is established in order to utilize additional credits. Effective January 1, 1998, the State Constitution was amended to permit a candidate currently in the armed forces to apply for and be conditionally granted veteran's credit in examinations. Any candidate who applies for such credit must provide proof of military status to receive the conditional credit. No credit may be granted after the establishment of the list. It is the responsibility of the candidate to provide appropriate documentary proof indicating that the service was in time of war, as defined in Section 85 of Civil Service Law, and that the candidate received an honorable discharge or was released under honorable conditions in order to be certified at a score including veteran's credits.
In conformance with Section 85-a of the Civil Service Law, children of firefighters and police officers killed in the line of duty shall be entitled to receive an additional ten points in a competitive examination for original appointment in the same municipality in which his or her parent has served. If you are qualified to participate in this examination and are a child of a firefighter or police officer killed in the line of duty in this municipality, please inform this office of this matter when you submit your application for examination. A candidate claiming such credit has a minimum of two months from the appli