Senior Automotive Mechanic #71078 (PROMOTIONAL)
Civil Service Job: Yes
Applications received by mail must be postmarked no later than Wednesday, March 28, 2012
Examinations will be held on Saturday, May 12, 2012
$19.45 - $21.74
Information on the Senior Automotive Mechanic #71078 (PROMOTIONAL) position
Vacancy: Eligible List may be used to fill vacancies which may occur within Cattaraugus County Department of Public Works, Little Valley, NY
Fee Paid By Employer. Pursuant to the Collective Bargaining Agreement between the County of Cattaraugus and CSEA/AFSCME Local 1000, a $10.00 examination-processing fee is paid on behalf of bargaining unit members participating in this examination.
Promotion Qualifications: Candidates must be permanently employed in the Cattaraugus County Department of Public Works and have two (2) years of permanent non-competitive class status as an Automotive Mechanic, Automotive Mechanic Diesel or Diesel Mechanic/Driver.
Special Requirement: In agencies where required, possession of a New York State Motor Vehicle Inspection license and appropriate commercial driver’s license at time of appointment.
Duties: The work involves supervision of, and participation in, the repair of a variety of automotive and heavy equipment. This position is distinguished by the advanced knowledge, skills, and experience in automotive maintenance repair. Duties are performed under general supervision with leeway allowed for the exercise of considerable independent judgement in carrying out the details of the work. Direct supervision is exercised over subordinate Automotive Mechanics, Helpers, and other staff assigned to the repair shop. A Senior Automotive Mechanic does related work as required.
Subject of Examination: Written test designed to evaluate knowledge, skills and /or abilities in the following areas:
1. Maintenance and repair of motor vehicles - These questions test for knowledge of the operating characteristics of the various mechanical and electrical components of motor vehicles and diagnostic practices involved in the maintenance and repair of these components.
2. Operation, maintenance, and repair of automotive, truck, and heavy highway maintenance equipment - These questions test for knowledge of the operating characteristics of various components of automotive and heavy motor vehicle equipment and the proper maintenance and repair procedures to use on this equipment.
3. Tools and test equipment used in the maintenance of automotive equipment - These questions test for knowledge of the correct procedures to use when checking, maintaining, and repairing automotive equipment, including the proper and safe use of various tools, instruments, circuit testers, and similar types of mechanical and electrical test and repair equipment.
4. Maintenance and repair of mechanically and electronically controlled internal combustion engines - These questions test for knowledge of the technical operating characteristics of internal combustion engines, including the ability to troubleshoot symptoms of poor operation and to diagnose and repair typical mechanical or electrical system problems, including computer controlled systems.
5. Supervision - These questions test for knowledge of the principles and practices employed in planning, organizing, and controlling the activities of a work unit toward predetermined objectives. The concepts covered, usually in a situational question format, include such topics as assigning and reviewing work; evaluating performance; maintaining work standards; motivating and developing subordinates; implementing procedural change; increasing efficiency; and dealing with problems of absenteeism, morale, and discipline.
The New York State Department of Civil Service has not prepared a test guide for this examination. However, candidates may find information in the publication "How to take a written test" helpful in preparing for this test. This publication is available on line at: www.cs.ny.gov/testing/localtestguides.cfm
Candidates are allowed to use quiet, hand-held, solar or battery powered calculators. Devices with typewriter keyboards, spell checkers, personal digital assistants, address books, language translators, dictionaries or any similar devices are prohibited.
Complete Job Description & Qualifications
Download the following file for the complete job description and qualifications for the Senior Automotive Mechanic #71078 (PROMOTIONAL) position.
PARTICIPATION IN MULTIPLE EXAMINATIONS: If you have applied for both State and Local government examinations, you must take all your examinations at the State examination center. You will be advised by letter when and where to report for your examinations.
If you have applied for another local government examination with another local civil service agency, call or write each civil service agency to make arrangements. You must notify all government civil service agencies with whom you have filed an application of the test site at which you wish to take your examination.
SATURDAY SABBATH OBSERVERS - HANDICAPPED PERSONS: If special arrangements for testing are required, please indicate this on your application(s).
CANDIDATES PLEASE NOTE: Your application for this test is part of the examination process. Applications must be completely filled out with all pertinent information stated. The Commission does not refer to other applications on file for additional information. Applications which do not show training and/or experience to meet the minimum qualifications will be disapproved. Vagueness and ambiguity will not be resolved in your favor.
VETERANS: Disabled and non-disabled war veterans who are eligible for additional credits must submit an application for veterans' credits. Candidates who wish to claim veterans' credits on an examination should request an application and information sheet from the Cattaraugus County Civil Service Commission. Veterans' application forms will also be available upon request at the examination center. The completed forms must be received before the eligible list for the examination is established in order to utilize additional credits.
Effective January 1, 2014, War-time Veterans who previously used non-disabled veterans credits for appointment or promotion and are subsequently certified by the Veteran's Administration as a disabled veteran may again be eligible for additional exam credits. To apply for subsequent disabled veteran credits, complete the Veteran Credit application and check the applicable box, additionally you are required to follow the directions below regarding Disabled Veterans credits.
Effective January 1, 1998, the State Constitution was amended to permit a candidate currently in the armed forces to apply for and be conditionally granted veteran's credit in examinations. Any candidate who applies for such credit must provide proof of military status to receive the conditional credit. No credit may be granted after the establishment of the list. It is the responsibility of the candidate to provide appropriate documentary proof indicating that the service was in time of war, as defined in Section 85 of Civil Service Law, and that the candidate received an honorable discharge or was released under honorable conditions in order to be certified at a score including veteran's credits.
In conformance with Section 85-a of the Civil Service Law, children of firefighters and police officers killed in the line of duty shall be entitled to receive an additional ten points in a competitive examination for original appointment in the same municipality in which his or her parent has served. If you are qualified to participate in this examination and are a child of a firefighter or police officer killed in the line of duty in this municipality, please inform this office of this matter when you submit your application for examination. A candidate claiming such credit has a minimum of two months from the application deadline to provide the necessary documentation to verify additional credit eligibility. However, no credit may be added after the eligible list has been established.
Cattaraugus County an Equal Opportunity Employer