Cattaraugus County Volunteer Fire Association
Dear fellow Firefighters and EMS Personnel,
This year the Cattaraugus County Volunteer Firefighters Association is proud to sponsor a $500.00 scholarship for continuing education. The application period begins February 1, 2011 and will end May 1, 2011. Applications must be postmarked no later than May 1, 2011 to be considered for the scholarship.
The following criteria are the eligibility requirements to be considered for the scholarship.
- Applicants must be a sworn member or a dependant of a current sworn member of a Cattaraugus County
- Fire Department or Emergency Medical Services volunteer organization.
- Applicants must be enrolled in or accepted by an accredited college, university, vocational, or technical school.
- Submit a complete informational application with a current photograph.
- Scholarship monies will be granted on a yearly basis and applicants may reapply for future scholarships.
- A High School/College transcript or current GPA must accompany the application.
- Two letters of recommendation must accompany your application. One letter must come from a teacher or counselor and one letter must come from a non-related Fire Department or EMS official. Neither letter can be written by a relative. Applicants must give a copy of the "Instructions for Letter of Recommendation" to each person who will write such a letter on your behalf.
- Write a 500 word essay.
Scholarship grants will be transferred directly into the student's account in the business office of the college, university, vocational, or technical school for tuition or book use.
If you are a current volunteer and you or a dependant is interested in receiving a scholarship application packet, please mail a written request to:Robert J. Barber Sr.
9739 Forty Road
Cattaraugus, New York, 14719
Please monitor the deadline and fill the application completely. Improperly completed applications will not be considered after May 1, 201l.
The CCVFA Scholarship Award will be announced at the Cattaraugus County Volunteer Firefighters Association
Convention held in Otto, New York on July 22 & 23.
Thank you to our volunteers whom so diligently devote their lives to protecting the citizens of Cattaraugus County. Without your devotion many lives and properties would be lost. Please keep up the good work and encourage new volunteers into your departments. They are the future protectors of our County.
Robert J. Barber Sr.