Civil War Event Series Lineup Announced!
The popular Civil War Event Series will return this summer to the Cattaraugus County Museum! As we mark the fourth year of the Civil War sesquicentennial, we are proud to announce an exciting schedule of events. Beginning on June 12, there will be evening programming every 2nd and 4th Thursday, June through August; all programs at 7:00pm.
The full schedule is:
- 6/12: Earl McElfresh- “Mapping the Civil War: Lee vs. Sherman”
- 6/26: Allen Hopkins- “Songs of the Civil War”
- 7/10: Rush the Growler- “Music of the Civil War/154th Regt.”
- 7/24: Craig Braack- “Prisons of the Civil War”
- 8/14: Larry Kilmer- “Railroads During the Civil War”
- 8/28: Craig Senfield- “President-Elect Lincoln”
We are also proud to announce that we will be capping off our summer series with a celebration of the 100 year anniversary of the dedication of the museum on Sunday, September 7. This event, “100 Years of the Cattaraugus County Museum”, will take place at the museum on September 7 from 12-4. Among the events planned for this will be a performance of Civil War brass band music performed by the Excelsior Cornet Band, a talk on Civil War soldiers given by Universtiy of Ohio history professor Mark Grimsley, and an encampment of Civil War re-enactors.
All events will be held at the Cattaraugus County Museum (the Stone House, 9824 Rt. 16 Machias). More details on these events will be posted as the date grown nearer. Feel free to contact us with any questions at 716-353-8200 Monday-Friday, 9-4. We hope to see you here this summer!