Museum

Historical Museum and Research Center

Museum Board of Trustees

Cattaraugus County Historical Museum Board Of Trustees

  • Mary Elizabeth Dunbar
  • Anne Easton
  • James McGrath
  • Bradley Parker
  • Ronda Pollack
  • Hobart Rhinehart, president
  • William Watkins
Filed in

The Corner Stone January 2011

News from Museum posted on Wed, 02/09/2011 - 1:53pm

About John Napier

The Cattaraugus County Poor-House in Machias, New York is the last surviving building from a complex of four that from the mid-1800's was a residence, asylum and working farm to serve the County's poor and insane. In 1860, County Supervisors commissioned the Machias Stone House to be built to serve as the centerpiece on a self sufficient farm that cared for the poor and mentally insane of the County. Read more

Filed in

History of the Stone House

Erected in 1868, the venerable Stone House, located upon the campus of The Pines Healthcare & Rehabilitation Center, 9822 Route 16, Machias, NY, is the sole surviving structure of the 19th Century Cattaraugus County Alms-House and Insane Asylum, which became the Cattaraugus County Home/Farm and Infirmary.

Stone House in Machias, New York Read more

Filed in

History of Cattaraugus County

Early History of Cattaraugus County: A Brief Overview

It was in the decades following the American Revolution, that saw the purchase of land in western New York and settlement beginning to take place.

In 1803 Major John Hoops, a Revolutionary War veteran, purchased about 20 thousand acres of land from the Holland Land Co. He had been influenced to make this purchase because his nephew Adam Hoops, Jr. had been employed as a surveyor for this same company. Read more

Filed in

Contact the Museum

Hours of operation are:

Tuesday through Friday, 9:00am to 4:00pm, and the third Saturday of each month, May through October, from 10:00AM-2:00PM.

Phone:

716-353-8200 Read more

Filed in

Research Request Form

The following file for download is the Research Request Form for the Cattaraugus County Historical Museum & Research Center .

Department: Museum

Filed under: research

New Exhibit opening at the Cattaraugus County Museum

News from Museum posted on Fri, 11/05/2010 - 1:06pm

A new exhibit has opened at the Cattaraugus County Museum, “Textiles of Cattaraugus County”.  The museum is featuring several items from its extensive textiles collection, including quilts, lace work, embroidery, and more!  The exhibit will run through March, 2011.  Come by and see us!

Research

Fee Schedule

Note: If you live outside Cattaraugus County you will be billed for this service.

Fees for research requests are set by the County Legislature range from $5.00 to $15.00 dollars for initial research.

When requesting research to be done many sources are consulted to find information. Your fees are based on the following schedule: Read more

New Exhibit Opens at Cattaraugus County Museum featuring Local Artist

News from Museum posted on Thu, 03/25/2010 - 3:40pm

A new exhibit, “The Art and Artistry of Norman Maffei” is now open at the Cattaraugus County Museum.  Mr. Maffei, a Franklinville native, has been an active artist for over seven decades.  A WWII veteran, Maffei was once considered as a replacement for famous Army artist Bill Mauldin as a cartoonist for the 45th “Division News”.  Mr.

Syndicate content
feedback