August 2009 Flood Information
This page will be updated frequently with information related to the August 9-10, 2009 Flash Flooding in Cattaraugus County. Download the Handbook
- September 8 - For homeowners, renters and business owners affected by severe storms and flooding in Erie, Cattaraugus, and Chautauqua counties --- FEMA is surveying in the area so please view the information on the FEMA Disaster Assistance Flyer
- Apply for Disaster Assistance at www.disasterassistance.gov/daip_en.portal (posted 2009-09-02)
- IF A VICTIM NEEDS ASSISTANCE IMMEDIATELY please call the Emergency Operations Center at 938-2244. We encourage people to document and photograph their damages from the recent flooding and HOLD the documentation until we hear from FEMA. Victims will need to provide their damage information directly to FEMA.
- On August 28, 2009, the NY State Insurance Mobile Support is no longer in Gowanda and has moved to Silver Creek. If you need insurance help and support please call the NYS Insurance Department's Disaster Hotline 1-800-339-1759 from 9AM-5PMor visit www.ins.state.ny.us
Homeowners' policies do not usually cover damage from floods, but such coverage is available through the National Flood Insurance Program. Owners of damaged vehicles whose automobile insurance policies contain comprehensive coverage, also known as "other than collision," are covered for flood damages.
Per the NYS Insurance Dept. Press Release "INSURANCE DEPARTMENT EXPANDING ITS ON-SITE DISASTER RECOVERY ASSISTANCE IN SOUTHERN TIER"
- Flood Cleanup Update - Road Closings, Food, Assistance and Clean up info & more - Updated August 23, 2009 09:01
- Hands on Disaster Response is in Gowanda
- Family Assistance Center in Gowanda at the Gowanda Elementary School on Aldrich St. is open between 9 A.M. and 5 P.M.
- Phone Numbers:
- 24 hour Disaster Hotline: 995-2164
- Information and Referrals: 211
- Red Cross After Hours Emergency Needs: 372-5800
- Red Cross Information and Referral:
a. Sunday, August 16, 2009 noon - 5 pm (716)366-4433
b. Monday - Friday: (716)664-5115
- Cattaraugus County Office of the Aging: 373-8032 or 1-800-462-2901(toll-free)
Emergency Food, Hot water tanks, furnace, other needs
- Cattaraugus County Mental Health: 945-5211 or in Gowanda 532-3325 x 5014
- Cattaraugus Community Action, INC: 945-1041 x 149
- Cattaraugus County Dept. of Social Services: 373-8065 (housing and Food Stamps)
- State Insurance: 1-800-342-3736
A small response team will be available Monday, August 17, 2009 at 9:00 am at the Gowanda Elementary School for any remaining clients needing help.
Information on Post-Flood Hazards
- Health Checklist for Repairing your Flooded Home - Added September 8
- How to Use a Disposable Respirator - Added August 20
- Disinfection of Private Water Supply Systems
- Health Precautions for Flood Victims
- When There's a Flood: What you Need to Know to Protect Your Health and Safety
- Creating a Healthy Home: A Field Guide for Clean-up of Flooded Homes
- What to do After a Flood
- Don't be left in the Dark! - Weathering Floods, Storms and Power Outages
- Indoor Air Quality - Information about Mold from NYS Dept. of Health
- Get Rid of Mold - CDC
- Preventing Carbon Monoxide Poisoning after an Emergency - CDC
- Storm Event Advisory: What food is still good?
- What is Dry Ice?
Organizing volunteers. Open to all! Call Gowanda Fire Dept 716-532-3434 or visit http://BonaResponds.org
View the photos of damage to Gowanda, NY and New York & Lake Erie Railroad Damage.
Search for Gowanda on Twitter to see all the talk
- August 12, 2009 Governor Paterson Activates National Guard to Assist in Massive State Response to Western New York Floods
- August 10, 2009 Governor Declares State Disaster Emergency for Western NY Flooding
Currently showing Perrysburg, Gowanda, Mansfield, Franklinville, Otto, East Otto, Ashford, Machias, Ellicottville, Persia, Dayton, Humphrey, Hinsdale, South Valley, Lyndon, Farmersville, and Freedom photos. More places and photos will be added as time permits.
Added damaged roads and culverts to the viewer. **Updating is Finished
Added the location of all the FLOOD WATER in the Village of Gowanda. Data compiled from NYS Police and Gowanda Fire Department.
Remember to ZOOM IN and then use the camera tool to click on a camera on the map if you wish to see a picture.
- FEMA's Flood Information
- NYS SEMO (State Emergency Management Office)
- FloodSmart.gov - Official Site of the National Flood Insurance Program