Correction Officer, #65851 Open Competitive Examination
Civil Service Job: Yes
Applications received by mail must be postmarked no later than Thursday, December 20, 2018
Examinations will be held on Saturday, February 2, 2019
2019 Rates: $21.35 - $23.75 per hour (Full-time) Grade 23 – Sheriff’s Employee Unit $16.83 per hour (Part-time) Grade 23 – Sheriff’s Employee Unit
Information on the Correction Officer, #65851 Open Competitive Examination position
Vacancy: The resulting Eligible List may be used to fill vacancies which may occur within the Cattaraugus County Sheriff's Office, Little Valley, NY.
Fee Required:The State Civil Service Law requires our office to collect a processing fee from each applicant. The amount of the fee is twenty-five dollars ($25) per applicant for Each examination applied for, payable at the time of filing of the application form, by check (personal or certified) or money order, payable to the "Cattaraugus County Treasurer". Cash Will Not Be Accepted. Applicants whose personal checks are returned for insufficient funds will not be considered as candidates for this exam or subsequent exams until such time as restitution is made. Applicants must record the Examination Number(s) and Title(s) on their checks. Refunds of fees will not be issued to applicants who are disqualified for not meeting the minimum qualifications for admittance to the examination, who file their application after the final filing date or who do not appear for testing on the scheduled test date. Therefore, Do Not Apply for an examination if you are not sure that you meet the minimum qualifications. Application fees shall be waived for candidates that are unemployed and primarily responsible for the support of a household or are receiving public assistance. Please contact this office for an Application Fee Waiver Request and Certification Form, or download from our website at: www.cattco.org/jobs.
Residency: Preference in appointment may be given to successful candidates who have been, at the time of examination and for at least one month prior thereto, a resident of the jurisdiction in which the vacancy exists.
Duties: This is responsible work involving the performance of a variety of duties in connection with the safe and efficient operation of the County Correction Facility. An incumbent guards and attends to the care, well-being and discipline of jail inmates. Supervision is received from a higher-ranking Sheriff's Department employee with leeway provided for use of independent judgement and initiative when the occasion demands. A Correction Officer does related work as required.
Minimum Qualifications: Graduation from high school or possession of a high school equivalency diploma.
1) At the time candidates are being considered for appointment they must meet physical/medical standards. In accordance with state laws, a Correction Officer is a peace officer and must be qualified to hold such office. Permanent appointments to this class are subject to satisfactorily completing training standards prescribed by the State Commission of Correction.
2) At time of appointment, must possess and maintain a valid Driver's License to operate a motor vehicle in New York State.
Subject of Examination: A written test designed to evaluate knowledge, skills and /or abilities in the following areas:
1. Applying written information in a correctional services setting - These questions test for the ability to read, interpret, and apply rules, regulations, directives, written narratives and other related material. You will be required to read a set of information, and to appropriately apply the information to situations similar to those typically experienced in a correctional services setting. All the information needed to answer the questions asked concerning the situations presented is contained in the rules, regulations, etc., which are cited.
2. Observing and recalling facts and information - These questions test for the ability to observe and recall information presented. You will be presented with information describing or depicting prison scenes or other facts. You will have a short time to observe and memorize the information before it is collected by the monitor. You will then be asked to recall specific details about the information presented.
3. Preparing written material - These questions test for the ability to present information clearly and accurately, and to organize paragraphs logically and comprehensibly. For some questions, you will be given information in two or three sentences followed by four restatements of the information. You must then choose the best version. For other questions, you will be given paragraphs with their sentences out of order. You must then choose, from four suggestions, the best order for the sentences.
4. Understanding and interpreting written material - These questions test for the ability to understand and interpret written material. You will be presented with brief reading passages and will be asked questions about the passages. You should base your answers to the questions only on what is presented in the passages and not on what you may happen to know about the topic.
A Guide for the Written Test for Correction Officer is available at the New York State website: https://www.cs.ny.gov/testing/testguides.cfm . Candidates not having access to a computer or the internet may request copy of the test guide from the municipal civil service office conducting this examination using the contact information found elsewhere on this announcement.
Use of a calculator is PROHIBITED for this examination.
Candidates Please Note: Your application for this test is part of the examination process. Applications must be completely filled out with all pertinent information stated. The Civil Service Office does not refer to other applications on file for additional information. Applications which do not show training and/or experience to meet the minimum qualifications will be disapproved. Vagueness and ambiguity will not be resolved in your favor.
This examination is being prepared and rated by the New York State Civil Service Department in accordance with Section 23-2 of the Civil Service Law. The provisions of the New York State Civil Service Rules and Regulations dealing with the rating of examinations will apply to this examination.
Applications will be accepted up to December 20, 2018, and may be obtained from the Civil Service web page at: www.cattco.org/jobs.
Cattaraugus County An Equal Opportunity Employer
Issued: November 20, 2018
Complete Job Description & Qualifications
Download the following file for the complete job description and qualifications for the Correction Officer, #65851 Open Competitive Examination position.
PARTICIPATION IN MULTIPLE EXAMINATIONS: If you have applied for both State and Local government examinations, you must take all your examinations at the State examination center. You will be advised by letter when and where to report for your examinations.
If you have applied for another local government examination with another local civil service agency, call or write each civil service agency to make arrangements. You must notify all government civil service agencies with whom you have filed an application of the test site at which you wish to take your examination.
SATURDAY SABBATH OBSERVERS - HANDICAPPED PERSONS: If special arrangements for testing are required, please indicate this on your application(s).
CANDIDATES PLEASE NOTE: Your application for this test is part of the examination process. Applications must be completely filled out with all pertinent information stated. The Commission does not refer to other applications on file for additional information. Applications which do not show training and/or experience to meet the minimum qualifications will be disapproved. Vagueness and ambiguity will not be resolved in your favor.
VETERANS: Disabled and non-disabled war veterans who are eligible for additional credits must submit an application for veterans' credits. Candidates who wish to claim veterans' credits on an examination should request an application and information sheet from the Cattaraugus County Civil Service Commission. Veterans' application forms will also be available upon request at the examination center. The completed forms must be received before the eligible list for the examination is established in order to utilize additional credits.
Effective January 1, 2014, War-time Veterans who previously used non-disabled veterans credits for appointment or promotion and are subsequently certified by the Veteran's Administration as a disabled veteran may again be eligible for additional exam credits. To apply for subsequent disabled veteran credits, complete the Veteran Credit application and check the applicable box, additionally you are required to follow the directions below regarding Disabled Veterans credits.
Effective January 1, 1998, the State Constitution was amended to permit a candidate currently in the armed forces to apply for and be conditionally granted veteran's credit in examinations. Any candidate who applies for such credit must provide proof of military status to receive the conditional credit. No credit may be granted after the establishment of the list. It is the responsibility of the candidate to provide appropriate documentary proof indicating that the service was in time of war, as defined in Section 85 of Civil Service Law, and that the candidate received an honorable discharge or was released under honorable conditions in order to be certified at a score including veteran's credits.
In conformance with Section 85-a of the Civil Service Law, children of firefighters and police officers killed in the line of duty shall be entitled to receive an additional ten points in a competitive examination for original appointment in the same municipality in which his or her parent has served. If you are qualified to participate in this examination and are a child of a firefighter or police officer killed in the line of duty in this municipality, please inform this office of this matter when you submit your application for examination. A candidate claiming such credit has a minimum of two months from the application deadline to provide the necessary documentation to verify additional credit eligibility. However, no credit may be added after the eligible list has been established.
Cattaraugus County an Equal Opportunity Employer