Social Adult Day Care Programs Available
Did you know that Cattaraugus County Department of the Aging/NY Connects has multiple funding opportunities for Cattaraugus County residents to attend adult day care programs? Adult day care programs offer a dual solution; they help family caregivers who need a respite from caregiving responsibilities while also providing seniors health-promoting opportunities to socialize with other seniors.
Activities provided at adult day care centers include things like:
• Arts and crafts
• Musical entertainment, singing and dancing
• Games that provide mental stimulation
• Exercise appropriate to ability
• Local outings
• Discussion and reminiscing
• Intergenerational activities
• Meals and snacks
Adult day care is appropriate for seniors who are:
• Alone during the day while family members are at work or taking care of other responsibilities
• In need of companionship and social stimulation for a few hours a day or a few days a week
• Physically or cognitively challenged but do not require 24-hour supervision
• In the early stages of Alzheimer's disease
All services are based on an individual care plan and assessment of your loved one. Social adult day services provide a break to caregivers, and can especially give peace of mind to working caregivers.
There are program centers located in Allegany, Olean, and Gowanda. A free screening is available by contacting Cattaraugus County Department of the Aging/ NY Connects at 716-373-8032 or 1-800-462-2901.