Skip to main content
Functions of the County Attorney
- Is the legal advisor to County Legislature, County Departments and every officer whose compensation is paid from County funds in all matters involving an official act of a civil nature.
- Prosecutes and defends all civil actions and proceedings brought by or against the County, the County Legislature and any officer whose compensation is paid from County funds for any official act.
- Employs and supervises counsel when needed for any civil action or proceeding brought by or against the County or any County officer in his or her official capacity.
- Is counsel to the Cattaraugus County Soil and Water Conservation District.
- Prepares and reviews resolutions to be submitted to the County Legislature and is present at Legislature meetings as parliamentarian and for consultations.
- Acts as prosecutor for juvenile delinquents who commit offenses that would be crimes if committed by adults.
- Prosecutes family offenses, child support matters, termination of parental rights and custody cases, and other matters in Family Court.