- ESRI [ www.esri.com ]
the company that makes 90% of the GIS software used in the market. Cattaraugus County uses all ESRI software to power our GIS online and offline capabilities.
- SDG [ www.sdgnys.com ]
the company that created the Imate Online program that so many places use to show parcel information.
GIS data portals:
- NYSGIS [ www.nysgis.state.ny.us
a one-stop shop for everything GIS in NY State. Ask your GIS questions, search their extensive knowledge base, use the interactive aerial map viewer to obtain pictures, or if you're apart of the NYS GIS Cooperative, you can download loads of GIS data.
- CUGIR [ cugir.mannlib.cornell.edu ]
a GIS clearinghouse specializing in agriculture, ecology, natural resources, and human-environment interaction layers in New York State.
- FGDC [ www.fgdc.gov ]
a place for GIS at the federal level. The FGDC is developing the National Spatial Data Infrastructure. They encompass policies, standards, and procedures for organizations to cooperatively produce and share geographic data.
- Geodata [ www.geodata.gov/gos ]
they house federal, state, and local geographic data.
- Geography Network = http://www.geographynetwork.com ]
another one-stop shop for all geographic data. An interactive map lets you zoom into your area on interest and download specific data layers.
GIS portals for NYS areas:
- Erie County [http://www2.erie.gov/gis/index.php?q=erie-county-internet-mapping-system-v4-help ]
- Onondaga County/City of Syracuse [ www.maphost.com/syracuse-onondaga ]
- Broome County [ broomegis.co.broome.ny.us/website/gisweb/portal.htm ]
- Cortland County [ www.cortland-co.org/Planning/index.html ]
- Tompkins County/City of Ithaca [ http://geo.tompkins-co.org/geoportal/html/gallery-grid.html ]
- Warren County [ www.co.warren.ny.us/gis ]
- Genesee County [ http://gis.co.genesee.ny.us/OnlineMapping/Default.aspx# ]
- Community GIS [ CommunityGIS.com ]
This is a Southern Tier West RP&DB project. Many municipalities within the Southern Tier region have there own interactive viewer on this site.
- Discover Southwest NY [ DiscoverSouthWestNY.com ]
This is another project of Southern Tier West. This website shows GIS information for everything under the sun. Business, recreation, living, you can get it all there. 360deg pictures are included.
- Library of Congress [ memory.loc.gov/ammem/pmhtml/panhome.html ]
a housing of panoramic maps from 1847-1929.
- USGS Maps [ docs.unh.edu/nhtopos/nhtopos.htm ]
historic USGS maps for the New England/New York areas.
Local GIS groups:
- Northeast ARC [ NorthEastARC.org ]
a group of Northeast ESRI users that meet once per year to have a GIS conference.
- GISSIG [ GISSIG.org ]
a more local group (central NY) of GIS/CAD/Remote Sensing/etc users that meet once per year and hold a large conference.
Places that create GIS data:
- NCGC [ www.ncgc.nrcs.usda.gov/products/datasets/ssurgo/ ]
created the soil layer that is seen on the parcel viewer.
- FEMA [ FEMA.gov ]
created the flood plain layer that is seen on the parcel viewer.
- USGS [ USGS.gov ]
creates many GIS layers such as the topology maps.
- DEC [ www.dec.state.ny.us ]
created the wetlands layer that is seen on the parcel viewer